Unclean! Arrsers with the virus

If anyone is actually interested in documenting symptoms there is a thread here. LINK
Good idea - as the only cure seems to be to catch it and survive. Would it be worth making it a sticky? Might be easier to find than searching or hoping somebody else posts so it appears in Notifications.

I'm mildly (i.e. occasionally) asthmatic - usually triggered by poor air quality or (especially) living in a house full of (*******) cats. Thankfully the latter is now history, but of consequence I still have shit-loads of Sabutamol in my goody bag.

Three years back I suffered a bout of Australian Flu and it really put me on my arrse... big time. My immunity took a whack thirty years ago after contracting Hep A & Glandular Fever in a one-er and I had problems breathing. It felt like altitude sickness: max effort with just enough return. But every breath was exhausting. Thankfully my hoard of inhalers sorted it. I hate to think what I'd have done without them. Not being able to breathe is truly frightening.

I can't help but think that Sabutamol would go some considerable way to alleviating breathing problems with this thing... if it isn't being used already.

That's better. You usually open up a new account , send an abusive pm then shut the account - and then deny it was you.

Anyhoo, good idea to start a thread for poor lickle sufferers.... ah Mummy be there soon.

You sad attention seeking feck ! :)

That's better. You usually open up a new account , send an abusive pm then shut the account - and then deny it was you.

Anyhoo, good idea to start a thread for poor lickle sufferers.... ah Mummy be there soon.

You sad attention seeking feck ! :)
I’m sure you’ll be delighted to know I’ve woken up this morning after sweating gallons last night and appear to be 100%.

Whatever happened to NATOStandard?

think this is a good call. At the very least - assuming no one pegs it, it should reassure people that get it and give them the chance to ask anyone that’s got it had it what it’s like.
This^

Proper reports from people of probably a similar age and presumably fitness and general lifestyle might help cut through some of the knicker wetting stuff the press is pumping out. Might actually help people realise the cough with no fever etc isn't just man flu so keep the **** away from other people in case that "bit of a cold" might be something worse.

@Ravers Beechams powders made a significant difference to my cough, bought 2-3 hours relief from the bloody cough that was giving me a pounding headache. My mate couldn't get powders for me so bought the hot drink version, foul sickly sweet shite but if anything it worked even better.

@jellyvodka Did warn me about keeping hydrated and I though I was clever enough to be on top of it and was drinking the usual amount of water and hot drinks.....he was right I was wrong. It can't of helped. Keep throwing the liquids down you.

I really dropped weight as well, I thought I was eating and drinking as normal but I guess I was a bit more away with the fairies than I thought this week. I am choosing to put it down to low o2 levels rather than me just being a twat, but then I would say that wouldn't I. I needed to dump some flab but I would not recommend this as a diet plan to anyone.

I developed a bit of a sore throat yesterday and later on started coughing.

I started to think this was the obvious until the sort of phlegm normally associated with a Welshman pronouncing his village crept in, followed by a runny nose and sneezing.

I now think it's the common cold, but if it develops into man flu I'll see you all at the FRV.

Size 9M.
Size 9M you say.
I can be a bit pre emptive and come and collect.
Where are you what you got?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m on day 3 of the worst cough I’ve ever experienced.

Throat feels like I’ve been gargling a cocktail of broken glass with gravel and a garnish of iron filings.

It comes in peaks and troughs. Sometimes it hits and I can barely speak.

There is some shortness of breath but it’s manageable. My lungs feel like they’ve shrunk and can hold less air. Taking deep breaths requires more effort than usual. I feel like I want to get a bog brush and give my lungs a good scrubbing out.

I have no other symptoms and no one else I know has had it. Mrs and kids are fine and haven’t shown even the slightest sign of it.

Could be Coronavirus, could just be a really bad cough or chest infection, but it’s been pretty solid for 3 days now with no sign of improvement. I’ve never had a cough this bad before.

Hot drinks like tea with honey really do help. A cuppa gives me about an hour of relief before the cough starts again.

Olbas Oil, Strepsils and Night Nurse are also good friends right now.

Edit: I’ve even considered getting on the whisky, but realise that’s a very bad idea.
Join the club mate. Black cross on the front door, sackcloth and little bell will be issued shortly.

Stay safe mate

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
The sensible stuff is to take paracetamol and keep hydrated.

However I am encouraged to see that the standard treatment is staying at home and getting pissed.

My cough is worse but not productive. I don't think I have a fever now as this morning I woke up and the bed did not seem like I had swamped it.

The media are making me laugh. Old symptoms my arse.

This^

Proper reports from people of probably a similar age and presumably fitness and general lifestyle might help cut through some of the knicker wetting stuff the press is pumping out. Might actually help people realise the cough with no fever etc isn't just man flu so keep the **** away from other people in case that "bit of a cold" might be something worse.

@Ravers Beechams powders made a significant difference to my cough, bought 2-3 hours relief from the bloody cough that was giving me a pounding headache. My mate couldn't get powders for me so bought the hot drink version, foul sickly sweet shite but if anything it worked even better.

@jellyvodka Did warn me about keeping hydrated and I though I was clever enough to be on top of it and was drinking the usual amount of water and hot drinks.....he was right I was wrong. It can't of helped. Keep throwing the liquids down you.

I really dropped weight as well, I thought I was eating and drinking as normal but I guess I was a bit more away with the fairies than I thought this week. I am choosing to put it down to low o2 levels rather than me just being a twat, but then I would say that wouldn't I. I needed to dump some flab but I would not recommend this as a diet plan to anyone.
now you come to mention it my fluid take-on went up dramatically - probably comfortably doubled. I wanted fluids all the time.

Also on the weight loss - I ate at the same level and was constantly starving. I’ve not jumped on a scale but I’d say I’ve shed enough lbs to get into the stable belt.

ive taken a lot of aspirin which has paracetamol and that was the business. Really helped.

what I’ve found is your body weakens to such an extent that weaknesses come to the fore at the tail end of it. Antibiotics have fixed my chest infection by the looks of things

now you come to mention it my fluid take-on went up dramatically - probably comfortably doubled. I wanted fluids all the time.
Opposite for me, I had to remember to eat and drink, didn't feel thirsty and last night was the first time I was hungry and wanted a dinner. I was having to force myself to eat for most of the week and that is not like me.

I keep reading about people taking antibiotics. How are these being obtained? Via telephone consultation with your GP, via 111 or some other way?

I'm not looking to pre-dose, that would be silly, just looking for the procedure when symptoms worsen.

I keep reading about people taking antibiotics. How are these being obtained? Via telephone consultation with your GP, via 111 or some other way?

I'm not looking to pre-dose, that would be silly, just looking for the procedure when symptoms worsen.
I rang my GP and booked a telephone appointment. I’ve got a history so he prescribed on the blower and I went to the pharmacy three hours later and picked them up.

Opposite for me, I had to remember to eat and drink, didn't feel thirsty and last night was the first time I was hungry and wanted a dinner. I was having to force myself to eat for most of the week and that is not like me.
it seems to affect people very differently which is odd.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Coughing up blood today which aint feckin good by any standards. 111 advised me to stay at home.

Last edited:
I don't have any of the symptoms described, but I am definitely not 'right'.

Been feeling dizzy for a few days.

Weird sensation.

I do wonder how many of us have actually had it so far but with symptoms mild enough to just go yhrough
According to an information leaflet I got in the post the other day 80% of us will have it while displaying the same symptoms as that annoying head cold I've had off and on since November.

My brother in law was hospitalised with it yesterday. He lives with his 82 year old mother so Mrs Cooper is up to High Doh, as if she wasn't bad enough already. Mrs C is convinced that our daughter and I are carrying World Ending Pathogens back from work every day. My hands are going to fall off from washing them.

Last edited:

Latest Threads