uncertain future

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by pat_the_man, Sep 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i'm hoping for some advice on my current situation.

i broke my wrist about 9 years ago whilst serving but was diagnosed as a severe sprain. later down the pipeline in good old civvie street i have had to have an operation on it which required some bones being removed as the fracture never healed and caused perminent damage.

it's looking like i cannot do the job i'm doing anymore (i work for sky tv) and they are pointing to the fact that i have a "manual handling risk" problem. they have advised me to apply for another job within sky but all being I.T jobs of which i am unqualified. i'm feeling very "locked in a box" about the whole situation and i am very worried about future employment.

i could train in IT but its going to cost me £6500 to do the courses they need me to do but they aren't obligated to help. i cannot afford this myself as i am now on sick pay and soon to be out of work. without the course i'm jobless and i cant do anything i am currently qualified for, which leaves me sweating about providing for my family.

any advice would be very appreciated as i'm at my wits end.

thank you for your time and understanding.

pat :?
  2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Pat, PM me with some contact details mate
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

4. Hi

Do you belong to a Union as it sounds as though your condition may be considered under the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 which means your employer must make reasonable adjustments to your job? Do you have an Occupational Health Department if so contact them as well. Not sure if they have to help you re-train if not Learn Direct run courses/have funds for grants
  5. you might be able to get an award from War Pensions, depending on the severity of the injury. Will your doctor confirm that op was for injury that occurred whilst serving?
    VA leaflets 9 and 11 attached

Attached Files: