Unbelievable - The Beatles.............

......... release of 'Love Me Do' in 1962 is now closer to the First World War than it is to us today.

Thanks, you barsteward! That means that my birth is too - and has been for a while.

God, I feel old now.

Love, love me do,
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So, please, love me do.

putteesinmyhands said:
Thanks, you barsteward! That means that my birth is too - and has been for a while.

God, I feel old now.

Love, love me do,
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So, please, love me do.
I'm 1956 vintage so I feel decidedly past my sell-by date.

I've just found out that this gem comes from an excellent article by Christopher Caldwell in the FT.

It is particularly discomfiting to play this game with cultural products that are supposed to be, by definition, new, fresh and youthful, like rock music, for instance. The Sex Pistols’ Never Mind the Bollocks (1977) is closer to the second world war than it is to the present.

The Beatles’ release of “Love Me Do” (1962) is closer to the first world war than to us.

Bill Haley’s Rock Around the Clock (1954) is as close to the Spanish-American war (1898) as it is to us.

There is nothing hipper than hip-hop, but the Sugarhill Gang’s “Rapper’s Delight” (1979), the first rap song, is closer to Al Jolson’s last hits than to the songs in the rap charts now.

that right , cheer us old farts up!!

johnboyzzz said:
I am too young to remember it, well I was only 2
What a coincidence, I was only two as well.

And two and two and two.