Unannounced FEO visit, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Stan_Da_Bout, Apr 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Going through the renewal roundabout for SGC.

Twice the FEO has popped round unannounced. Not really a problem, he's a decent chap and very helpful and I have nothing to hide, just the place was a mess both times ironically and IMHO gave a bad impression.

I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that notice had to be given. Anyone else had this before or any genuine knowledge?
  2. I'd have thought 'surprise' visits would have been the norm?
  3. IIRC the Police can arrive unannounced and carry out a spot check of firearms and ammunition. Its unusual for it to be entirely unannounced - but not unusual for RFDs in particular to be given a call from the station and asked "if they can pop over" , ie 20 minutes or so notice, or not enough time to cook the books or hide evidence of a missing gat.

Did you leave some s/g cartridges lying around during the last FEO visit? He might have a genuine concern that you're one of the refusniks who deliberately leave guns unsecured - they have copped plenty of owners with unsecured guns and kids/family around, etc.
  4. No worries on anything 'unsecured' although I can understand that would rightly be a concern. Wouldn't want the cat chewing on an Eley.

There was a problem with the signatory, not of the correct profession, even though this is not clear on the form. This was the reason for the first visit, to give me a new form. A tel call would have sufficed. The second was to to see the guns and tick them off the list. Reasonable of course but the unnanounced bit on both occasions was interesting.
  5. I would be interested to hear by what right can they do that?

Other than during the Grant/Renewal process such a visit would strike me as "fishing". Others might deem it harassment. In my Constabulary's area, should they do that, I would ask the Chief Constable where the Licensing Department is finding the time seeing as recently they were unable to process renewals in less than five months.

Perhaps we need to look at a written Constitution with a proper Bill Of Rights. In the US anything found on such a fishing trip would be thrown out due to lack of "due cause", making such actions useless in terms of law enforcement.
  6. Not if they asked "Can I come in" and you said "yes" it wouldn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

I thought s/g cartridges just had to be kept out of reach of children. Was I wrong?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. Correct. If invited in and if anything of an illegal nature is clearly visible in the part of the premises to which they had been specifically invited ................... s'why they always ask to go to the toilet, to extend the extent of the area to which they reasonably have access.

Ammo and gats does'nt matter anyway as long as when it needs to be it is safely secured from kiddies fingers. To that end a lock is provided with every new gun sold. Cabinets are more or less an option rather than a necessity.
  9. I wouldn't worry about it too much, our local FAO comes round often for a brew and to eat all the choccy hobnobs.

Yet in 15 years and two house moves he's only asked to look in the cabinets two or there times.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)