unadided etesight

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Matt44, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey I'm wanting to join up however my unadided eyesight isn't good. I can't see the top line on the opticians chart without my glasses can see perfect with them though. My prescription is -5diopters. Do you think I would past the eyesight exam. Thanks for any help

2. You might pass the eyesight exam but I fear your literacy result may come into question...

3. sorry, for the poor grammar

4. Mate I cant even see the chart if I take my specs off, I think it depends on the job you are after.

5. 30 years commissioned service in the infantry, with eyes so bad I couldn't read the numbers on a chest mounted-altimeter without my glasses on.

Don't think the standards are much changed - as long as you meet the standard with correction (i.e. wearing glasses) her maj is happy

Not true of course if you want to fly aircraft in the AAC, or join the SAS (or earn a commission in the Royal Marines - but booties aren't Army)

This should cheer you too:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1322130/Army-eases-vision-standards.html

Slightly surprised that it isn't dead easy to find what the current standards are just by a quick google. They certainly don't leap at you from the MOD's webpages

6. I have looked on google it says you can be short sighted up to -7 dioptres but doesn't say anything about the unadided standard of vision.

7. Err . . .short-sighted up to -7 dioptres IS the standard of unaided vision.

If you were still short-sighted at -7 dioptres AFTER you'd been to Specsavers, I think you'd be asking for a refund.

And (not for the first time) your word (when spelled correctly) goes U - N - A - I - D - E - D

8. sorry, so at -5 it appears I may be ok?

9. Very likely - but if you want it from the horse's mouth, visit your local recruiting office and ask them to tell you the current standards: they ought to have the numbers immediately to hand.