Unable to Uninstall Ask and Record toolbar.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Sinner251, Sep 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got fed up with Internet Explorer 8 and went back to IE7, toolbar for Ask & record is in toolbar list but unable to select it. So I went to Add/Remove program and click on remove on all the programs for Ask toolbar and 2 files were removed leaving one file. When I click on it I just get a window popping up saying :
    Invalid Uninstall control file: C\Program Files\ Ask & Record Toolbar\Uninstall\uninstall.xml

Any Ideas how to get rid of this as its stopping me reinstalling the Toolbar? Please use small words and type slowly, any diagrams in crayon please as I'm a PC biff.
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  2. Is that file actually there? Check using explorer and "show hidden & system files".

If it is there, delete it. If it is not there, you have a problem with the registry (the file has already gone but is still recorded). Modifying the registry is not anything that a self-confessed PC biff should try - you can cause chaos.

Just checking: XP or Vista?
  3. XP Idrach.
  4. Go with firefox
  5. I second that, bin IE and go with firefox.
  6. How will firefox, a browser remove this?
  7. This Microsoft Article may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481, but I agree with the other comments - Firefox is a much better browser. I only ever use IE for M$ updates and for web-site compatibility testing.
  8. It won't remove it, you just won't have all the issues you have with IE

with regards to removing this toolbar appliction, you could try revouninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/ as it removes crap from the HDD and the registry
  9. Idrachs 1st suggestion sorted it found the file with Explorer and deleted it and now its also gone from the Add/Remove programs list. I have firefox as Surf the channel used to only work with Firefox and I find its ok, just seems a bit clunky. IE8 is the only browser thats ever given me any crap.

Idrach Thanks. for the :help:
  10. Glad it worked.