Unable to attend a course on compassionate grounds and being demoted

It wouldn't hurt to get in touch with Macmillan.
They have people that know the ins and outs of law for employees/employers and should be able to give you advice as a carer.
Best of luck to your wife.
I doubt very much if McMillan would know much about the law around a part time workers rights regarding rank and military courses but arrse is every day, a school day.

I doubt very much if McMillan would know much about the law around a part time workers rights regarding rank and military courses but arrse is every day, a school day.
My thinking (such as it is!) was that MacMillan should know what rights a carer has with regard to employment.

anglo

LE
Hi all,

If possible, can someone give us some advice please?

I have withdrawn from a promotional / career course with the reserve because my wife will start chemotherapy and radio therapy a few days in, and there is no one that I can ask to look after her and my daughter while I am away on the course.

I have been told that my rank will revert back to what is was previously. This came down from the RCMO.

This does not feel right, is there any way that I can state my case, and get this looked at, and if so how would I go about that?
Walk away from the AR, spend all your time with your Mrs,
I hope everything turns out well for you and your family

The problem is that Glasgow are as unwavering these days with the time rules for substantiating promotions in the Army Reserve as the are with Regulars (one of the 'benefits' of closer alignment of the two promotion cultures). You need your CoC to get onboard and formally request an extension of your acting rank explaining your extenuating circumstances.

If your RCMO is saying "no course in the time period = automatic demotion" then they are being a pedantic jobsworth, to put it mildly, given your situation. I was extended by about three years because I wasn't advised that I needed to do a specific course, and when it was eventually picked up as a problem by Glasgow it proved impossible to get a place on it for some time. Although it became a bit of a regimental joke, at no point did they actively seek to demote me.

The problem is that Glasgow are as unwavering these days with the time rules for substantiating promotions in the Army Reserve as the are with Regulars (one of the 'benefits' of closer alignment of the two promotion cultures). You need your CoC to get onboard and formally request an extension of your acting rank explaining your extenuating circumstances.

If your RCMO is saying "no course in the time period = automatic demotion" then they are being a pedantic jobsworth, to put it mildly, given your situation. I was extended by about three years because I wasn't advised that I needed to do a specific course, and when it was eventually picked up as a problem by Glasgow it proved impossible to get a place on it for some time. Although it became a bit of a regimental joke, at no point did they actively seek to demote me.
You cannot be ‘demoted’ from an acting rank unless things have changed.
Acting rank has no definition of seniority.

Without understanding history eg have you left this course very late, have there been other excuses etc, get a service complaint in, and ensure that there's an audit trail for everything that is said.

And even send follow up emails to meetings documenting what was said.

Rank was/is acting pending completion of course.
You are no more being demoted than than anyone who had a £20 uplift to their benefits withdrawn is having a 'cut'.

This really should be the last thing on your mind right now.

Latest Threads