Unable to attend a course on compassionate grounds and being demoted

CREATURE5334

Old-Salt
Hi all,

If possible, can someone give us some advice please?

I have withdrawn from a promotional / career course with the reserve because my wife will start chemotherapy and radio therapy a few days in, and there is no one that I can ask to look after her and my daughter while I am away on the course.

I have been told that my rank will revert back to what is was previously. This came down from the RCMO.

This does not feel right, is there any way that I can state my case, and get this looked at, and if so how would I go about that?

Without understanding history eg have you left this course very late, have there been other excuses etc, get a service complaint in, and ensure that there's an audit trail for everything that is said.

You could always remind them that you give up your valuable free time to serve in the Army Reserve but your wife and family will always come first. Tell them that if they wish to be churlish about it and want to punish you by demotion for looking after your family they can poke their uniform and you'll find another hobby once your wife is well again.

Hi all,

I have withdrawn from a promotional / career course with the reserve because my wife will start chemotherapy and radio therapy a few days in, and there is no one that I can ask to look after her and my daughter while I am away on the course.

I have been told that my rank will revert back to what is was previously. This came down from the RCMO.

This does not feel right, is there any way that I can state my case, and get this looked at, and if so how would I go about that?
Were you acting or substantive prior to the course or perhaps were you promoted to attend the course? I've know the latter to occur in the regular Army.
If you were substantive, they'd have to have a good reason to demote.

Family -> Day job -> AR

Always has been, always will be.

The promotion course will come round again.

Hi all,

Surely, its not up to the medical officer (RCMO?) to determine whether you are promoted or not. This is a A1/J1/Glasgow matter.

Good luck for your partner's treatment.

CREATURE5334

Old-Salt
Hi all thanks for the pointers, I appreciate you taking the time.

Rank was/is acting pending completion of course.

I stepped back for the course at least 2 months in advance. I will be honest and say I was reluctant to do this, and was hoping to somehow cuff it, but post op, my wife was in ICU for three weeks, and on getting home there was no way she could look after our daughter. She was pretty messed up.

Radio and chemo, the brief the care team gave, was quiet frank, saying it’s going to be hard and she’s going to need support.

Care team have offered letters backing up the hospital stays, treatment etc. And lower CoC has been honest and supportive.

I am hoping that if I state my case and show that I’m not bluffing my ticket, it might be just something that’s been taken on face value without thinking.

Surely, its not up to the medical officer (RCMO?) to determine whether you are promoted or not. This is a A1/J1/Glasgow matter.

Good luck for your partner's treatment.

Really?
Regimental Career Management Officer.

G4Star

Old-Salt
You are in the Army Reserve, explain to the RCMO that your family comes first.
If your unit find that hard to take then serve notice to leave, you are after all a volunteer.

Hope your wife's treatment goes well.

"Rank was/is acting pending completion of course."

I don't think you have a leg to stand on, particularly if they need a bod qualified to fill that slot. They will in all probability, nominate another candidate, regardless of your compassionate reasons.

You’re not being demoted, this would indicate a punishment.

Look at the requirements for your next rank, if the course is s requirement then there will be a mandated length of time that you have to complete then course on selection for the rank.

Ask for an extension to this time period. It’s not uncommon for this to happen. If the RCMO doesn’t assist then write a Redress of Complaint to your CO.

Your wife and daughter need you more right now than the army reserve ever will.

You’re not being demoted, this would indicate a punishment.

Look at the requirements for your next rank, if the course is s requirement then there will be a mandated length of time that you have to complete then course on selection for the rank.

Ask for an extension to this time period. It’s not uncommon for this to happen. If the RCMO doesn’t assist then write a Redress of Complaint to your CO.
You can't be 'demoted' from an acting rank as far as I recall.

I stepped back for the course at least 2 months in advance. I will be honest and say I was reluctant to do this, and was hoping to somehow cuff it, but post op, my wife was in ICU for three weeks, and on getting home there was no way she could look after our daughter. She was pretty messed up.

Radio and chemo, the brief the care team gave, was quiet frank, saying it’s going to be hard and she’s going to need support.

Care team have offered letters backing up the hospital stays, treatment etc. And lower CoC has been honest and supportive.

I am hoping that if I state my case and show that I’m not bluffing my ticket, it might be just something that’s been taken on face value without thinking.
Believe me, when chemo starts, you will need all the time you have and a bit more. My wife went through it and when she had a chemo day (and it takes all day) I just walked away from work devoted everything to her, went with her and sat with her while they pumped that poison into her. For 2 or 3 days after chemo, all she wanted to do was sleep and it was like coming home to an empty house, so after a long days work, I was cooking and doing all the household chores as well. As someone else has said, your family comes first - from my experience on promotion courses, they want 100% from you and will soon notice if your mind is elsewhere (which it will be). The course is not that important - your family is and they will need you to be there, it is not a matter of 'finding someone to look after the nipper while you are away', you will find that you have 2 people to look after all of the time, not just one.

It wouldn't hurt to get in touch with Macmillan.
They have people that know the ins and outs of law for employees/employers and should be able to give you advice as a carer.
Best of luck to your wife.

Latest Threads