UN report finds social safety net has been dismantled and replaced with harsh uncaring ethos

Spitting, hissing and wishing death on anyone who voted leave.
That's an hourly pastime for the sad wretch and thus doesn't usually attract a smiting. Details, man, details!

That's an hourly pastime for the sad wretch and thus doesn't usually attract a smiting. Details, man, details!

Looks like there were deletions last night.
Went to bed with the wretch hissing and spitting, aided and abetted by the unamazing crustacean, woke up to a curious calm

Sounds very familiar. I'm the same vintage.
Oh and you could buy sweets for a halfpenny.
Bloody kids coming on 'ere, sweets and stuff. I s'pose all yer teeth are rotten!

Born in 1950, rationing still enforced, as were identity cards, ( I still have mine) living in the attic rooms of an Edwardian terraced town house in the east end, coal fires, no double glazing, one bog for the two families living there. I don't remember any sweets apart from liquorish, nobody in our street owned a car. Dad working as a sparks, on piss pour wages,. Then along came my brother and two sisters, now there are 6 mouths to feed. We moved into a 3 bed flat, again coal fires, no double glazing, coats on the beds in wintertime, frost and ice on the insides of the windows, mum done the best she could, always hungry, dad working all the hours to pay the rent, no holidays, but we kids had 3 local parks and the hackney marshes, and the river lea as our playgrounds, as well as the bomb sites that dotted the landscape of the east end. Second hand cloths, and make do and mend. The only things that were new were shoes, Clarks sandals, summer and winter. No TV until I was about 10 years old, then only 1 channel, black and white on a 12 inch screen, no telephone, washing machine, domestic computers had not been invented, neither had mobile phones & I-pads, milk and bread delivered by horse and cart, and once a year the air raid sirens were tested. some streets still had gas lighting, Trolley busses and steam trains were the main form of transport, or you walked, ordinary folk could not afford a black cab. At main road intersections a police call box ( Tardis) Obesity did not exist, but TB and polio were rampant, and the smog that descended in the early 50's killed thousands. Every one respected the forces of law and order, and it was safe to go out at night. There were massive problems with housing, and the immigrant influx had just started, leading to the Notting hill race riots in 1957. By today standards it was hard, by the standards of the day, quite normal, and everyone got on with their life.
But now their is so much more demands to live a hyperactive life of overseas travel, takeaways and have a house fitted out for a TV Crew to come and visit.... People borrow to the hilt, then are unlucky enough to lose their jobs and have a matter of weeks before they hit skid row.

But now their is so much more demands to live a hyperactive life of overseas travel, takeaways and have a house fitted out for a TV Crew to come and visit.... People borrow to the hilt, then are unlucky enough to lose their jobs and have a matter of weeks before they hit skid row.

I would say that, that is in the very small minority, most folk work from one pay cheque to the next, with little or no collateral, or disposable income, middle management are playing the illusion game, kids at private school, house mortgaged up to the hilt, flash car, and all the trappings of wealth, without the income to service it, champagne ideas, beer money, they are the ones that fall the furthest. Joe Blow, in an unskilled job, rented property, wife in a part time job, both trying their hardest, these are the folk that bare the brunt of the banks financial double dealings, and parliaments miss handling of the benefits system. they get hammered financially, as they are easy targets, the big corporations have the skill and the money to employ smart accountants, and subsequently legally, and I use that term reservedly, to keep proportional more of their earned income, that Joe Citizen, who ends up financing the governments vanity projects, HS2, Overseas aid, the SA80 fcuk up, etc. Whichever way you cut it, the ordinary man gets screwed over to cover for inept, incompetent financial mismanagement.

I would say that, that is in the very small minority, most folk work from one pay cheque to the next, with little or no collateral, or disposable income, middle management are playing the illusion game, kids at private school, house mortgaged up to the hilt, flash car, and all the trappings of wealth, without the income to service it, champagne ideas, beer money, they are the ones that fall the furthest. Joe Blow, in an unskilled job, rented property, wife in a part time job, both trying their hardest, these are the folk that bare the brunt of the banks financial double dealings, and parliaments miss handling of the benefits system. they get hammered financially, as they are easy targets, the big corporations have the skill and the money to employ smart accountants, and subsequently legally, and I use that term reservedly, to keep proportional more of their earned income, that Joe Citizen, who ends up financing the governments vanity projects, HS2, Overseas aid, the SA80 fcuk up, etc. Whichever way you cut it, the ordinary man gets screwed over to cover for inept, incompetent financial mismanagement.
Anyone loses their job unexpectedly the clock is ticking, whether they are working class, or as you say the out of control spending of your middle manager.. My point was I've known several people to have serious mental health problems and I can't help feeling a touch sorry for anyone in trouble.

Its possible the NHS and Treasury should have a Debt Management programme to take all that weight off somebody, if they become unemployed.. Something like student debt. I know its their fault, but I don't want them to fall any further and its humane and would shut down the need for food banks.

Anyone loses their job unexpectedly the clock is ticking, whether they are working class, or as you say the out of control spending of your middle manager.. My point was I've known several people to have serious mental health problems and I can't help feeling a touch sorry for anyone in trouble.

Its possible the NHS and Treasury should have a Debt Management programme to take all that weight off somebody, if they become unemployed.. Something like student debt. I know its their fault, but I don't want them to fall any further and its humane and would shut down the need for food banks.
But how much more are you willing to shell out in the form of taxes?? When the government spends your money anything is possible.

Seems it’s a UN report and the report is 21 pages and the author was here 2 weeks from the USA. So outstanding effort, he got first hand exposure in 2 weeks, visited all the poor places, visited Goverment offices for data and used public transport.

Or someone with an axe to grind filled him in with billy bollox.

Food banks are monitored by government, only that they can see what parts of the country are descending into severe problems, it also takes the onus away from them to rectify the multitude of problems that instigated the decent into critical need. While charities, and by association, the great British public who donate, and keep donating, they sit on their useless arses. This country is descending into what many years ago would be considered a dystopian sci-fi nightmare, not helped by the 3 ring circus now being played out in parliament. We are witnessing the beginning of the end.

Seems it’s a UN report and the report is 21 pages and the author was here 2 weeks from the USA. So outstanding effort, he got first hand exposure in 2 weeks, visited all the poor places, visited Goverment offices for data and used public transport.

Or someone with an axe to grind filled him in with billy bollox.

The Australian professor, who is based at New York University.

Seems like you folks might have pissed in his Victoria Bitter at some point...

Damn. That is quite the de motivator for the tax payers!

I just converted my salary to pounds and it came to 31,5563.40. That is depressing as ****.
Sounds like you need a second job

An uncle!
We had one, but we had to eat him.

Just to keep the OP happy, he was old.
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt

Even better, I have a Sugar Momma!! She makes the money and pays my bills!
Oooh! You're for it now. Baggie and Lobby will be on your case..

The Australian professor, who is based at New York University.

Seems like you folks might have pissed in his Victoria Bitter at some point...
That wouldn't change the taste.

Latest Threads