Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UN Police Officer-to-Citizen Ratio of 1-to-220 (South African Security article)

An article about the Police and (private) security services in South Africa brought up two interesting facts; the UN has a Poilice:Citizen ratio and that SAs private security sector budget is at least a third more than their government spends on its Police force.

1:220 seems a quaint figure (SA is currently 1:383), but if the figures are correct, they still have a better ratio than UK (wiki list has the figures Police per 100,000 population)

Although an article from 2009 has the UN recommendation as 1:450

And a more recent article

An article about the Police and (private) security services in South Africa brought up two interesting facts; the UN has a Poilice:Citizen ratio and that SAs private security sector budget is at least a third more than their government spends on its Police force.

1:220 seems a quaint figure (SA is currently 1:383), but if the figures are correct, they still have a better ratio than UK (wiki list has the figures Police per 100,000 population)

Although an article from 2009 has the UN recommendation as 1:450

And a more recent article

If you've ever interacted with the modern South African police that won't be surprising in the slightest.

Don't ever make the mistake of thinking those are active on the beat plod. I'd go so far as to hazard a guess that most will be office wallahs warming a seat and waiting for pay day/retirement, and even those who are meant to be out and about actually fighting crime will be pretty much comatose in the charge office a lot of the time.

Oyibo

LE
There was a report in RSA some time in the noughties that >50% of police (IIRC) were functionally illiterate. I always had private armed response (some better than others).

That said, the Serious Crime Squad were very good after we were burgled one time - they caught one of the guys and he got 15 years

50% is about right, along with most not being able to drive. I think they tried to address that (at great expense to the taxpayer and great benefit to a crony, no doubt) by getting the guys licenced but for a while it was either no fuel or no driver if you reported a crime they needed to attend.

A bunch of thieves lifted a wall mounted ATM full of cash from police HQ, and the cops helped them carry it out of the building. They also need to look at weapons handling, along with general corruption. A number of cops have been linked to organised crime, as well as found to be part of criminal gangs. It's an absolute farce.

I went in to report the theft of my laptop from a mate's hangar a few years ago. Cop refused to allow me to write out the statement and despite me dictating to him what had happened, the garbled mess he wanted me to sign bore little resemblance to English and zero resemblance to what had happened. It was a waste of time anyway. Six months down the line I got a badly photocopied form in the mail, dated the day after I reported the theft and saying they didn't have enough evidence to investigate, despite me naming the only three people who were in the hangar at the time the laptop got lifted.

Utterly fucking useless shower.

Last edited:

Mufulira

War Hero
There was a report in RSA some time in the noughties that >50% of police (IIRC) were functionally illiterate. I always had private armed response (some better than others).

That said, the Serious Crime Squad were very good after we were burgled one time - they caught one of the guys and he got 15 years
In the noughties my brother who had never migrated as the rest of us did, was living near Jo'burg on a small-holding and reported a 'Break and Enter' and eventually a posse of the Police Service showed up and bimbled about the premises. Poking about all over the dusty acreage mumbling to themselves and instructed the owner to temporarily depart whilst the 'experts' examined further -- so Bro departs for a few hours and allows Saffie versions of Inspector Clouseau to 'examine' the premises and to ensure no 'maliwongos' still lurking about the place. A few hours, 4, later Bro spies a SAPS vehicle still parked at his abode and pokes his head inside and halloos -- no replying sound! He then enters and finds a dead policeman in his living room! (WTF this is not my doing it was like this when I got here!) The Service are now extremely annoyed at having to deal with 2 differing problems at a single address on the same day! The 1st thief was a domestic who was easily found and detained the 2nd thief, the dead or expired Blue Norwegian policeman had helped himself to the very well stocked Liquor Cabinet and polished off enough spirits to actually kill himself from Alcohol poisoning. Result, a posthumous reprimand for the dead guy and no recompense for spirits consumed whilst on the job. Lock up your liquor if a policeman is around on any pretext....

Oyibo

LE
Snipped...

They also need to look at weapons handling...

Early noughties I was working for an international security and risk management company. This was about the time that Iraq was kicking off for PMCs and PSCs.

The company had a big contract on the table for training one of the large armed response companies in SA. The Government vetoed it because they did not want private security trained better than Government Security Forces.

All the old farts who did national service are likely already trained better than the security forces. I know a couple of the reunions have had plain clothes cops sniffing around, and the water jumps are infested with SANDF types waggling their ears like radar around the braais.

They're also paranoid about semi auto rifles without realising what Jan van Niekerk can do with his hunting rifle at 400m. Thing is, those trained blokes just look on in utter bemusement when they come up with yet another level of paranoid fuckwittery.

Mufulira

War Hero
Early noughties I was working for an international security and risk management company. This was about the time that Iraq was kicking off for PMCs and PSCs.

The company had a big contract on the table for training one of the large armed response companies in SA. The Government vetoed it because they did not want private security trained better than Government Security Forces.
IIRC when in SA on an official visit to mining expo -- the Security Contractors were markedly better uniformed and trained than the regular plods who were now a 'service' rather than a police force. One long time WOII complained bitterly that he was now a social worker rather than the scourge of the criminal class as he once was!

Oyibo

LE
All the old farts who did national service are likely already trained better than the security forces. I know a couple of the reunions have had plain clothes cops sniffing around, and the water jumps are infested with SANDF types waggling their ears like radar around the braais.

I used to go on occasions to 'The Canopy Club' (ex Parabats, Rhodie types, and buitelanders like me) at Ysterplaat in CT. I don't remember the guys with big ears, but ex SADF were certainly being watched with regards to security work overseas.

Reunions and water jumps. I think the more formal things like LAASA and Valskermbond are more or less left alone.