UN Peacekeepers in Syria

according to the latest reports, things are hotting up on the Golan Heights. On Friday 43 Fijian peacekeepers were taken hostage (God knows how), and tanks are being brought up to rescue them.

Meanwhile in the latest news 75 Filipinos are also fighting to avoid capture by Syrian rebels.

I can see a situation where Israel has to step in to rescue the UN troops, based upon its experience in the region and its close locality of men and logistics.

The UN Security Council demanded the "unconditional and immediate release of all the detained United Nations peacekeepers" and urged countries with influence to help win their release.

The Philippine military said the soldiers were occupying two posts about four kilometres apart.
The UN initially said 81 Filipinos were involved in the stand-off, however Filipino commander Ancan said there were 75.

There are currently 1,200 peacekeepers from the Philippines, Fiji, India, Ireland, Nepal and the Netherlands on the Golan Heights.

alib

LE
Some more here on the ISIS thread and on Twitter #Golan.

The Qataris will be charging in with bags of CHf 1000 notes, it seems to be their chums JaN who are the main actors and they are the usual "mediators". The UN is trying to pretend it's those nice Saudi funded Takfiri from the Islamic Front not Syria's AQ franchise.

Much more of this and I can see a situation where Israel rapidly goes cool on Assad's ouster. They were not at all keen all through the first year of the rebellion.

One of the problems being that some nations see UN peacekeeping as a way of paying for a large military it cant afford. The Pakistanis were in Timor, but never left the compound, played volleyball and prayed 5 times a day, and generally were as good as boobs on bulls.

I am surprised at the Fijians, who tend to be solid warriorlike chaps - I might resign from the Fiji Defence Club following these events.

On the other hand the Filipinos have size 15 macho-egos and will probably be individually financially responsible for the loss of their weapons, so they will fight to the death.

Either way, its getting warm in the Golan Heights. The UN would do well to subcontract rescuing its staff to the Israelis.

Can't see Israel rushing to rescue UN Peacekeepers TBH. The UN wouldn't win any popularity contest in Israel and any rescue would involve invading Syria. Not going to happen.

wolfbolt

Old-Salt
Some were rescued by Irish Peacekeepers and surprise surprise force had to be used but reading the comments from Irish politicians you'd swear there was a peacekeeping option that does not involve the utility of force!
"the early-morning raid to free the 81 Filipino peacekeepers who had been under siege by the Islamists for three days."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-un-troops-in-alqaeda-gun-battle-30549563.html

BUT the original 43 remain in captivity!

alib

LE
Some were rescued by Irish Peacekeepers and surprise surprise force had to be used but reading the comments from Irish politicians you'd swear there was a peacekeeping option that does not involve the utility of force!
"the early-morning raid to free the 81 Filipino peacekeepers who had been under siege by the Islamists for three days."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-un-troops-in-alqaeda-gun-battle-30549563.html

Irish politicians do not seem to have noticed what is sloping towards the Golan and Litani.

I read here the Filipinos seem to have disobeyed rather confused but direct UN orders to surrender and after putting up a stiff fight then legged it with their arms, smart move. It may be the Fijians were just better disciplined and did what they were told to.

This has happened before of course and the UN just negotiated through it but this conflict is rapidly changing in character. Thank Christ it was JaN, just nice friendly old Syrian Al Qaeda. If it had been choppy choppy IS there would be UN claret everywhere. IS are currently working their way through Leb Army hostages taken at Arsal a head at a time. HA are rumored to have responded by kidnapping several IS commanders. Israel's borders are fast becoming far too dangerous a place for small units of lightly armed smurfs.

Great effort by our friends the Irish peacekeepers.

Not my country, but I am not at all sure about the demands now being addressed to the Defence Minister to "guarantee the safety" of the contingent. Could they even have contemplated the rescue if everyone's safety had been guaranteed in all circumstances?

(Which, by the way, is not an argument from me against the human rights and sensible force protection of armed forces personnel.)

The remaining hostages are from a Commonwealth country, albeit suspended.