Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UN medal polishing?

D

Deleted 172264

I did my last tour with UNFICYP in 84, already had a medal from 74. Our sergeant major decreed that the lance guard guys would parade with UN medals polished. They arrive in the box with a dull bronze finish. It was a bastard to get the coating off and the metal shone up to his satisfaction. I thought at the time, we all did, that this was not right as none of us had ever seen a shiny UN medal. So I'm asking, was our SSM right, or was he being a complete knob?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The latter.

I did my last tour with UNFICYP in 84, already had a medal from 74. Our sergeant major decreed that the lance guard guys would parade with UN medals polished. They arrive in the box with a dull bronze finish. It was a bastard to get the coating off and the metal shone up to his satisfaction. I thought at the time, we all did, that this was not right as none of us had ever seen a shiny UN medal. So I'm asking, was our SSM right, or was he being a complete knob?

In the 90s, UN and NATO medals were very commonplace. If this dîckwad had you polish either of those medals, and then you got posted to a unit that had no/fewer such dîckwads, your rack would look ridiculous.

What Regt/Corps was this? I’d be severely pissed off if I was ordered to ruin my medals (both of them :) )

D

Deleted 172264

The SSM is still alive. So is the OC who let him have his pig headed way, but they can't do any more harm. The unit is now amalgamated (twice!), I am sure that we had our fair share of dickwads as do they all. My UN medal, even though it is squeezed in between others in the correct order of precedence, still looks like shite but it has a story. I suppose I could buy a new one off fleabay like a walt but despite everything I'm rather attached to it.

D

Deleted 172264

I think the original finish was from being dipped in a phosphoric solution and it was done in large batches. Weathering outside will turn it green, the metal has a high copper content. ( I retrained as a jeweller).
And I think our local magpies, the flightless scrote kind, would soon have it, they nick anything.

74-84-2020

Well done, your time keeping is impeccable.

No, your SSM was wrong.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

D

Deleted 172264

Thank you for your response. My original question does not ask if you believe that the episode took place, I don't give a shit about that, I only asked if anyone thought that my SSM made a bad decision.

Jonnynoname

On ROPS
On ROPs
I had to polish my UN and NATO from Yugoslavia, for a cadre course. 20 years later they look shite next to my others, and a fecking twat to have to keep fecking polishing

ACAB

LE
Nope. As an ex Guardsman they should never be polished because they're made out of cheap materials,

Latest Threads