UN forces scandals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stoatman, Feb 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/02/15/do1502.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2005/02/15/ixop.html

2. This sort of conduct seems almost inevitable when officials who may have modest backgrounds come into contact and control of vast amount of money and authority. Just like the chav who wins big on the lottery knows not how to handle his money or a suburban housewife feels lost when suddenly required to employ domestic staff. Very very unfashionable to say it but breeding tells.
  3. Brilliant find stoatman

Thats one i shall be storing for future use in any debates with rabid anti-bush/pro-UN pinkos.

4. Years ago, when I was a lazy student, the right-on, tree-hugging, moralistic, PC brigade were enough to get on my t1ts and make a nuisance of themselves. Suffice to say, I usually told them to fcuk off and didn't bother with them (my right to do so inasmuch as it was their right to annoy me). The point in now, whilst I go where Queen and Country tells me, the very same do-gooders are in positions of great influence in places such as the UN, civil service (make that MOD), the government, NGOs, etc, making up policies, blathering on about how we are used (or should not be used, as the case may be) and generally affecting everything from our deployments to morale and a lot more in between. I'll defend their right to do so until the very end but I can't help reflecting on the irony. ARRSE.
  5. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

6. Wasn't Steyn the chap who claimed the US should bomb Canada?
  7. From today's BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4262743.stm

Okay they are trying to do 'something' about it but, as in bold above, their hands are somewhat tied.

The first step is to admit that there is a problem, which they seem to be doing rather than sweep it under the carpet; then they need to do something about it, including educating UN troops of their responsibilities. This latter point is very hard, I know, especially as most UN troops are only their for financial and not moral reasons.