• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

UN condemns Iraq charter change

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4309164.stm

Why can't we have a similar rule for UK elections? Count all registered voters instead of just those who vote? :twisted:

I suspect this will be an own goal that will fuel opposition to the constitution. Encouraging a high turnout to support the constitution was always going to be a risk, but this circumvention is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

UN condemns Iraq charter change

The United Nations has criticised changes to Iraq's electoral law that make it harder for Iraqis to reject the draft constitution.
The two-thirds majority needed in three provinces to defeat the constitution will now be counted from all registered - as opposed to actual - voters.

On Sunday Shia and Kurdish members of parliament pushed through the changes in the referendum rules on 15 October.

Sunni Arabs reacted angrily to the amendments on Monday.

They believed many registered voters may not show up at the polls because of violence.

"We have expressed our position to the national assembly and to the leadership of the government," said Jose Aranaz, a legal adviser to the UN electoral team in Iraq, in an interview with Reuters news agency.

Mr Aranaz said parliament's decision was unacceptable and would not meet international standards.

"Hopefully by tomorrow the situation will be clarified," he said.

Many Sunni Arabs oppose the draft constitution on the grounds that its federal provisions could lead to the break-up of Iraq.

They are the majority in three Iraqi provinces, but largely boycotted the general election in January this year.

The drafting of a constitution and a national vote on it, were meant to draw Sunni Iraqis into the political process, thereby reducing support for the mainly Sunni backed insurgency.

On Monday Saleh al-Mutlaq, of the Sunni group Iraqi National Dialogue, called the change the voting law a "clear forgery".

"They want this constitution to pass despite the will of the people," he added.

The interim constitution drawn up under US administrator Paul Bremer in 2003 says the following about the issue: "The general referendum will be successful and the draft constitution ratified if a majority of the voters in Iraq approve and if two-thirds of the voters in three or more governorates do not reject it."

But on Sunday, MPs said a No vote from two-thirds of "registered" voters was needed for a veto.

The new interpretation keeps the clause stipulating that only half of actual voters are needed for the text to be adopted.

They couldn't make it more obvious if they wrote it across a 20 mile grid square in burning oil could they.

Oh wait, I expect someone will do that anyway :roll:

So let me get this straight. The elected representatives of another country voted in their own parliament to change their own laws. Why is that a problem and what right does anyone outside Iraq have to tell them what to do ?

Putting aside my devils advocate hat though we see yet another step taken towards the dismantling of Iraq. The federal clauses in the constitution are I believe seen by the Shia and Kurds as steps on the way to independence. If they leave the Sunni become largely irrelevant.

Latest Threads