UN condemns Iraq charter change

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Oct 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4309164.stm

Why can't we have a similar rule for UK elections? Count all registered voters instead of just those who vote? :twisted:

I suspect this will be an own goal that will fuel opposition to the constitution. Encouraging a high turnout to support the constitution was always going to be a risk, but this circumvention is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

2. They couldn't make it more obvious if they wrote it across a 20 mile grid square in burning oil could they.

Oh wait, I expect someone will do that anyway :roll:

3. So let me get this straight. The elected representatives of another country voted in their own parliament to change their own laws. Why is that a problem and what right does anyone outside Iraq have to tell them what to do ?

Putting aside my devils advocate hat though we see yet another step taken towards the dismantling of Iraq. The federal clauses in the constitution are I believe seen by the Shia and Kurds as steps on the way to independence. If they leave the Sunni become largely irrelevant.

4. I'm sure Bliar would have tried something similar with a vote on the European constitution!

5. They've changed their mind. It's back to the way it was.

6. Will the neocons count the vote - like last time?