UN chief warns of Iraq civil war

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5358388.stm

How can we ever hope to help people that won't help themselves Mr. Annan?

2. Perhaps we should use flowers or puppies? What will the ever effective UN, who stood against the Anfal genocide, Rwanda, and currently Darfur do to end the violence?

3. Really don't know why I am defending the UN but the UN is only as effective as its members want it to be!

4. I know what your saying, but you know what I'm saying to. Kofi Anan has not given a satisfactory explanation for this:
    While overly zealous and reckless use of force causes problems, equal problems have been caused by the dismissal of a military solution. Diplomacy alone can work in preventing violence, but rarely in stopping it.

5. And just what the feck is currently going on then?

Whilst I think there is a role for the UN it really has to grow some fair sized balls to operate in this day and age. Will that ever really happen?

6. Who provides the troops?

7. Precisely.

The UN is not some extra-governmental body that operates independently. It is made up of the representatives of the governments of the world’s nations. It can only do what those governments allow it to do.

If those governments are not willing to commit their armed forces to deal with a particular situation, or are not willing to allow them to operate under robust rules of engagement, there is nothing the UN can do.

If there is criticism to be made – and there is plenty of cause for criticism – it should not be directed at the UN “needing to grow balls” but at the national governments that are emasculating the UN.

8. Let me enlarge on my earlier comment.

By suggesting that the UN 'grow some balls' I'm implicating the member countries to mandate it accordingly. Why not have a permanent cadre of UN troops on call? It appears to take far too long for any response from the UN.

By the time they do respond the situation has usually got so bad it's almost impossible for them to achieve anything.

If the UN is to survive I think it has to radically rethink how it operates.