UN Bosnia medal and NATO FRY medal

Discussion in 'Medals' started by RustySanchez, Jan 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have several medals including the UN medal for service in Bosnia from 93-94 and the NATO Former Republic of Yugoslavia medal.

Can both of these medals officially be worn together or is it 'one or the other' as they both relate to the same conflict?

Ta

Rusty

2. Yes you can, same conflict but under different commands

• Like Like x 1
  3. Same conflict, different mission. And in your case, different tour.

<pedant>BTW it's the NATO medal "Former Yugoslavia", not "Former Republic of Yugoslavia", common Brit error but there never was such a place.</pedant>

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Federal Republic of Yugoslavia rings a bell.

5. That's the one. Savezna Republika Jugoslavija.

6. Brotherton Lad

To be fair, I think several newspapers used FRY meaning 'former'.

7. Brotherton Lad

In the round, I enjoyed my time in Bosnia in1993 and found more positives than negatives; maybe that's just me.

• Like Like x 4
  8. I liked it there - like a mediterranean holiday resort in Split and then progressively more germanic as you got into Bosnia itself. Gornij Vakuf, Vitez, Kiseljak and then the hellhole that was Sarajevo. All I can say is that it was chuffin cold.

• Like Like x 3
  9. No doubt, but there's quite a difference between FRY= Serbia+Montenegro, and Former Yugoslavia = the original 6 republics including BH and Croatia. Just making my contribution to the sum of human knowledge.

PS not to mention FYROM, which is something else again and the likely cause of the confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I had some time at the hotel Dalmacija in Kiseljak. I also think about going back and seeing how things have changed.

11. @ Roadster

I revisited Sarajevo 8 years ago and apart from obvious tourist stuff, the signs of the war were amazingly absent compared to what it was. Mostar a few more signs, but has for years been a popular day coach trip from the coast.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brotherton Lad

I mean earlier on as it broke up in 91-93, but would need to dig deep into primary sources.

13. On my last drive out of the country on the road from Gornij Vakuf to split there was a large town that had been flattened - I mean absolutely levelled by artillery. I often wonder what the name of that town was. There was a muslim graveyard on the way out that had just been mortared and there bodies everywhere. Grim stuff.

14. Went on my hols there about 5 years ago, now an absolutely cracking place ,(Croatia) especially makarska and surrounding area,worth a visit.

15. I did a UN tour in sp of the UNMOs and an IFOR tour, separately, and could wear both medals.

Strangely I would also like to go back and have a look at Sarajevo, especially Sniper alley. A couple of years ago I had a RN colleague who had served with EUFOR 2007-ish and he had his own car, lived in a private flat and was shagging hot bosnian birds alles uber the platz. Another guy I know, a NATO civvy, drove there, lived in a flat in the town etc.........

Still I would like to go back and look at the only two places I was shot at during a 30 year career. TV2 and Airport road.