Kit Reviews UM 20MM Oerlikon twin mount 1/72 scale

Got this off Ebay for £8, unsure yet if it's going to build up well, I suspect it will, as most of it is PE, and small PE parts at that.

the plastic parts look like something out of a Cornflake box on first glance, but the moulding of the guns is fine and scale. This is one of two of the same frame.

here's one of the twin guns in close up.

the fret of tiny PE parts

some detail from the instruction sheet, this is just part 6

hopefully, when I get around to building the second of my MTB pair, this sub kit will add an extra dimension of detail to the forward guns

Got this off Ebay for £8, unsure yet if it's going to build up well, I suspect it will, as most of it is PE, and small PE parts at that.

the plastic parts look like something out of a Cornflake box on first glance, but the moulding of the guns is fine and scale. This is one of two of the same frame.

here's one of the twin guns in close up.

the fret of tiny PE parts

some detail from the instruction sheet, this is just part 6

hopefully, when I get around to building the second of my MTB pair, this sub kit will add an extra dimension of detail to the forward guns
Is that second one going to have less torpedo tubes by any chance?

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Keep posting, I'm wanting something along these lines for a planned upgrade of the old Airfix Coastal Defence Fort set.

I saw this upgrade on the Airfix Tribute Forum and it inspired me to aim for that level but with just a few more tweaks and improvements, the twin AA guns on the roof amongst them.
Airfix 1/72 Coastal Defence Fort (06706)

I'm therefore going to follow this thread and see if these guns suit my porpoises.

Keep posting, I'm wanting something along these lines for a planned upgrade of the old Airfix Coastal Defence Fort set.

I saw this upgrade on the Airfix Tribute Forum and it inspired me to aim for that level but with just a few more tweaks and improvements, the twin AA guns on the roof amongst them.
Airfix 1/72 Coastal Defence Fort (06706)

I'm therefore going to follow this thread and see if these guns suit my porpoises.
You might like to check out the S-Boote build..... seeing as that will have German guns fitted :)

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
You might like to check out the S-Boote build..... seeing as that will have German guns fitted :)
Oddly enough, I'm not after German guns for the fort. I have a couple of Russian 203mm naval emplacement guns for the main armament and want more odds and sods of foreign equipment being used. This better reflects the German employment of captured weaponry in the Atlantic Wall. The back story, should it be necessary, is that the Oerlikon was stripped from wrecked British shipping during DYNAMO.

I'm hoping to extend the fortifications to include various bunkers and emplacements, mainly using a hodgepodge of captured equipment to add some interest. Wargaming Germans in 1944 can lead to getting heartily sick of yet another PaK38 or 40.

The Gun Emplacement set will be the same - I have a British 6" naval gun in its shield (another trophy from DYNAMO) with which to replace the Airfix one, and intend to emplace a small foreign HMG or ATG on roof of the forward bunker, maybe a Russian 14.5mm or maybe a Hotchkiss 25mm. Something tiny.

Oddly enough, I'm not after German guns for the fort. I have a couple of Russian 203mm naval emplacement guns for the main armament and want more odds and sods of foreign equipment being used. This better reflects the German employment of captured weaponry in the Atlantic Wall. The back story, should it be necessary, is that the Oerlikon was stripped from wrecked British shipping during DYNAMO.

I'm hoping to extend the fortifications to include various bunkers and emplacements, mainly using a hodgepodge of captured equipment to add some interest. Wargaming Germans in 1944 can lead to getting heartily sick of yet another PaK38 or 40.

The Gun Emplacement set will be the same - I have a British 6" naval gun in its shield (another trophy from DYNAMO) with which to replace the Airfix one, and intend to emplace a small foreign HMG or ATG on roof of the forward bunker, maybe a Russian 14.5mm or maybe a Hotchkiss 25mm. Something tiny.
In that scale it would be tiny - I've got some PDF's on the Atlantic Wall and its fortifications knocking around, I'll PM you the link later if your interested

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
In that scale it would be tiny - I've got some PDF's on the Atlantic Wall and its fortifications knocking around, I'll PM you the link later if your interested
I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Yes, it will be a tiny HMG or ATG in 1/72 but I'm hoping that a measure of strength will be lent by surrounding it with an emplacement to protect it from the worst of the knocks from the average wargamer.

Yes, it will be a tiny HMG or ATG in 1/72 but I'm hoping that a measure of strength will be lent by surrounding it with an emplacement to protect it from the worst of the knocks from the average wargamer.
Check PM

If its of any use, I've seen photos of Jerry using the turrets off French Char B tanks and also Matilda ll's

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
If its of any use, I've seen photos of Jerry using the turrets off French Char B tanks and also Matilda ll's
I'll certainly be incorporating a few dug-in turrets as forts, probably Somuas. I've not seen the Matilda II turrets used but it's an interesting possibility. The idea is to built an interlocking series of scenic pieces that may be put together to form a variable Atlantic Wall setup along a table. My plans are for a 2mx3m table (in two 1.5mx2m sections) so a large coastal assault battle in 1/72nd is entirely possible.

A big table means a large range of options for the wall forts and supporting emplacements.

Anyhow, this is not talking Oerlikons...

Latest Threads