Ulzanas Raid

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Alec_Lomas, Aug 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is on ITV 4 at 22.00hrs (UK time) tonight Friday 21 August.

Arguably one of the most intelligently scripted Westerns to come out of Hollywood. Burt Lancaster in top form. Quite brutal to watch, as the opening scene with the buggy being 'chased' sets the tone and it doesn't let up from there.

It's the first Western that I can recall where the SOP's are pertinent and well portrayed. A good story with pace throughout up to, as is said, the 'final reel'.

If you are housebound this evening and telly watching, you could do worse. You won't be disappointed.
  2. Thanks for the heads up . I wonder if it's the uncensored version which shows someone being disembowlled by the injuns ?
  3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Reminds me of Soldier Blue which must have come out in the early 70s. It was my first X film at about 16. There was much palaver because of the content and there were tales of St John's Ambulance being on standby at cinemas (I never saw them). I remember some full frontal squaws (rather more photogenic that the one in Pull Up A Sandbag) the US Cav hacking off breasts and killing babies.

I have seen it on the TV radar twice. One of them claimed to be unabridged yet it still omitted all the really heavy stuff.
  4. There was never 'stuff' as you mention filmed in Ulzana's Raid contrary to opinion. The director felt that there was no need to, leaving it to the imagination of the audience to fill in the blanks.
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

A very good film, with Burt Lancaster in an unusual role. As I recall, there were a couple of films at that time that defied the accepted Western genre. One had Charles bronson in as an Indian/Mexican half breed ( can we still say that?) and one with Clint Eastwood as a tracker. The names elude me at the moment as I'm having a senior moment!
  6. My bold - Chato's Land ? Not sure of the Eastwood one just yet.

Lancaster made three movies over this period which are all to my mind, bloody good Westerns, well scripted, well directed. They were Lawman, Valdez is Coming and Ulzana's Raid.
  7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Chato' s Land. Thet's the feller! Lawman was excellent, as was Valdez.

Joe Kidd was the Eastwood movie.