Ultrasonic parts cleaners

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, Apr 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have one of these - bought it to do cases which it never did very convincingly. I used to use hot water and truck wash.

It occurs to me that powder solvent would be more sensible but what powder solvents or substitutes can be had in bulk as opposed to the little bottles of champagne priced stuff from the gunshop?
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The concentrates are key - I use mine for sensitive stuff through rusty gun bits - this stuff is the best I have used:

3. Interesting - I shall look for something similar in the UK.

Just about to try white spirit on a rifle bolt and magazine......
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have mucked up some stuff by using incorrect concentrates or leaving it in too long - buy the right stuff, right temp, correct time - its all on the bottle, EM 300 for examle.
  5. I've used areosol brake disc cleaner, allways seemed to shift muck from all the hard to reach places.
  6. Yes, must get some of that for the weekend - thanks for the reminder!
  7. White gas (generic Coleman fuel) is what I use. Cheap as chips!
  8. Looks like EM-700 would do the trick with brass cases...
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'm doing mine in capfull per litre of EM 80 for a couple in mins at 30 C, then drying before going in the tumbler.
    Have not tried 700, 300 is brutal so be careful with that one - use in a submerged glass ashtray for best results on little parts.
  10. It says that 700 is for use on jewely and watch parts so it can't be too rough on surfaces. I currently just use hot water and two cycles of 3 minutes which seems to bring out a lot of kak from PB fouled cases.