Ultra light day sack - Ideas please

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by bibo_boy, Feb 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just come off yet another exercise and set about thinking how could I improve my kit? (ok I was bored!)

Well one idea I had was day sacks.......

I use an issue "NI" patrol Pack and even though it's a quality item and tuff as old boots, it's a bit of a pain as it doesn't compress into the lid of a bergen well and is a bit overkill when all I need to carry is some warm kit and maybe waterproofs.....

So I came up with the idea of making a lightweight small pack similar to this:

I have a pal who makes mil kit and he's going to make me one up in ripstop nylon (like bashas)....

It's not going to carry massive heavy weights and have load of fancy pockets, but be designed to roll into a ball and stuff in the lid pocket of a bergen.

Does anyone else have input?
  2. If it can carry a crate of fosters without breaking, then it's got my vote!
  3. why not use the issue side pouch then!

if a daysack is too big. un zip from bergan and whoppy do jobs a good un!
  4. If you really want a superlight daysac, and you can live with the colour, this could be what you're looking for.

Integral Designs Silcoat Ultralight Daysack
    The ultimate ultralight 25 litre day sack. Stuff your waterproofs, your insulation layer and your sarnies in here and get going. You won't notice your carrying them

Weighing in at 4.5 oz (125g) this ultra light back pack features 2 inch wide polyester webbing shoulder straps tapering to 3/4 inch adjustable side straps, and a removable polyester webbing belt. The back section and bottom is reinforced with 200 denier pack cloth. The top has a reinforced drawcord and toggle closure with a Silcoat lid. The pack folds into a tiny 5x5x1 inch integrated stuff sack
    Made from extremely lightweight waterproof silicone-impregnated nylon, the Silcoat Backpack is ideal for day hikes.

Not recommended for loads exceeding 12 lbs (5kg), or for carrying sharp objects.

Capacity: 25 litres
    Packed Size: 5"x5"x1" integrated stuff sack
    Weight: 4.5 oz. (125g)
    Colours: Grey

Price: £37.50
  5. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

One of the guys at my unit has a dpm daysack quite like that, it's slightly bigger than an issue side pouch and has a gay little clip too.

Don't do it man, looks gash!
  6. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

No, that actually looks okay.

It's literally like a side pouch, with straps sewn on - and a clip instead of a zip at the top. Looks gash, and seems pointless. Why use a rocket pouch, and carry an extra one, when you have two attached to your bergan?
  7. Cheers guy's.... have to admit.... I have thought about the rocket pouch idea... just haven't used them like a daysack since recruits....

Maybe I should?
  8. karrimor sabre 30, or berghaus munro (which is what I use). Hard as nails, only problem is that it has an internal frame, which makes it difficult squeezing under the lid of the bergan, though it is possible! I wouldn't bother with daysacks, they are only held onto the daysack yoke by the tiny little black clips which don't look like they'd take much strain, especially if your carrying loads of link etc.
  9. Take the frame out ;)
  10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Firstly, you have too much time on your hands.

Secondly, the issue rocket packs do the job very nicely. Their clips will take a load of weight (no issues re ammo etc). Of course, if nobody in your unit is using them, you may well stand out like a bacon sandwich at a barmitzvah. And that is never good.

Lastly, if you really want some kind of light weight go bag for your warm kit, what you need is something to keep that dry too, so you might be running around in circles a bit. Lastly, don't forget you'll need two, one in sand, one in green..
  11. I've got one of these and it's great for poncing about on short hill-walks. Comfy enough as long as you don't wang too many tins of beans / link / house bricks in it. Pretty damn robust and waterproof due to the roll-down clip thingy like a canoe-bag. Transparent window is a clever idea - it means you can see exactly what you forgot to bring without sorting through everything in the p1ssing rain!

Unfortunately, it almost glows in the dark, so not quite appropriate for your needs I think.

However, only yesterday I emailed them asking if they could get them knocked up in olive green or sand - talk about spooky. They replied that they were costing it up as they'd already had a number of enquiries of this type!

Alpkit have a great attitude and some wizzo kit. I've already got one of their Airic air mattresses and its brilliant. Self inflating, light, good insulation and very robust. But I digress.