Ulster scots.....

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by evil belly, Feb 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was up the north a few days ago and visited the strule art centre
    and noticed the ulster scots translation of said establishment
    Strule Hoose o Airts....thought they were taking the piss
    and wondered how many millions of pounds in tax payers money
    has been pissed up the wall on this pikey lingo

2. Not half as much as on useless Gaelic translations when the vast majority of people on both sides speak plain English.

• Like Like x 8
  3. dont know boozy,
    one is the official language of the island of ireland
    the other is a mixture of chav and pike
    just seems like a waste of money

4. The one you describe as a mix of chav and pike is the historical dialect of the plantationers. Pikeys as we all know are Irish not British.

5. Fixed that for you. You're welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  6. One is the official language of the Republic of Ireland and a completely different country to NI you troll. Even pre-partition VERY few people in Northern Ireland were Gaelic speakers and those who were often spoke it only as a second language. This is not the Gaeltacht, Gaelic is not our first language in Northern Ireland and never will be - it's teaching here is nothing but a futile exericise in trying to re-introduce an effectively dead language... much like latin of no use to most people unless you are going to study historic texts or (in the case of latin) go to mass.

We are culturally inextricably linked to Scotland in my part of Northern Ireland... research your history, we effectively founded their country... Scotland comes from Scotti... it literally means land of the Irish raider. We are only 12 miles apart and migration back and forth has been commonplace for millenia strengthening the ties still further. Dalriada at one stage encompassed most of Antrim and Down, and the majority of the West Coast of Scotland. The ulster Scots lingo comes from lowland scots and in my experience the written translation rarely comes out well as it was never really a written language rather spoken by the common people and the people writing it rarely agree on spelling or pronunciation.

There is room to argue that it's a dialect rather than a language sure, but it's our culture just the same and entitled to the same amount of funding as Gaelic as determined by the Good Friday Agreement, whether you find it "useless" or not. Ulster Scots also more common to BOTH communities here, I know more Catholics/Nationalists/Republicans who speak Ulster-Scots everyday than I do those who speak Gaelic everyday.

And as a resident of the Republic... what do you care how the BRITISH Government spends it's taxpayers money anyway?

• Like Like x 6

7. Go get him girl!!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 4
  8. In that case., Boozy, would the malevolent taig be a "troll", or a "trow"?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ulster Scotch pikey lingo ? Obviously you know fk all

• Like Like x 1
  10. nice one there flagarant...like it..but anyway
    my point is that lads on here seem to be at the sharp end of budget cuts for equipment.. manpower.. pay and the like
    i think its just wasteful to be spending money on something that has a makey up ring to it
    just to score a point against the other mob
    if i offended you i apologise boozy

11. Carefull there wee girl, you'll have the medical and legal types beating on the front door for disparaging their fair latin language.

• Like Like x 1
  12. It is one of the loonier effects of the Good Friday Agreement. Legally everything said or written in Stormont has to be translated in Gaelic and Ulster Scots despite everyone working there having English as a first language. That is now starting to creep its way into other government departments and anything that takes government funding.

Blame the Shinners it was their idea.

• Like Like x 4
  13. What a sign with a ulster scotch translation hardly breaking the budget . It is a art center at the end of the day. I live in the same area which is mostly catholic so it's hardly there to score points . It's a cross community building to display both sides of cultural heritage .

14. this is the kind of rubbish im getting at
    what is your culture.. how is it any different to mine
    i go to work i pay back the bank that owns my house
    i drink and enjoy myself at the weekend
    i would even have a glass of ulster scotch if
    i knew wher it was sold