Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Crabbers, Dec 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaps,
    I'm wanting to find out if I'm eligible to go for regular UKSF selection even though I'm a STAB. Any ideas on how I go about it (without making myself look like a c0ck)? I'm not sure if it's even possible. I'm 32, infantry, been in (nearly) three years and have done an FTRS (1 year) including Herrick. Any advice?
  2. First go 21 or 23 then selection for 22.
  3. You'll notice time is not on my side. At the very best, I'd imagine that route would mean I'd be 34 before attempting the regular course - hence me looking into other possibilities.
  4. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any. You cannot go from non-UKSF(R) TA to 22 directly. If you go via UKSF (R) you will need to pass all training with them, and should then expect a period of "probationary service" with them before a recommend for an attempt at selection for 22. Quite understandably, they do not (or at least did not) put people forward unless they were certain that the individual was a strong candidate.

    Your only other alternative is to FTRS to the regular army, hope to convert that FTRS into a regular contract (which is not guaranteed), and then apply from there.

    Basically, there is no quick and easy way to join 22, other than the EBay way!
  5. At 32 are you still young enough to go regular?

    Given that you've already done a tour, UKSF might possibly take that into account, or is the three year rule set in stone?

    You might not even have to do basic or CIC. I'd go down to the careers office and ask them.
  6. msr

    msr LE

    Phone them up and ask
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.