UKSF wagons in Syria

Mr Happy

LE
The BBC report rebro'd by Forces-Telly below featured UKSF in the sand:

UK Special Forces 'Pictured Fighting Daesh In Syria'

I was a bit surprised to see that they weren't running around in either Jackals or something very armoured. With that in mind, can anyone shed any light on (a) what these wagons are (b) why use these over Jackals (which last time I heard, were supposed to be the nuts and pretty much built to THEM's requirements).

Hardly 'hush hush' if they are swanning around in Jackals/Coyotes.

The fact that you don't know what these are suggest that the tactic is working.

S'actually not that far off Jackals. These are the operational versions of a new Supacat - the LRV 400, based on a LR Discovery chassis.
Linky: LRV 400 - Supacat - High mobility vehicles
Very, very cool, and very much the new WMIK

Prototype:
Supacat_LRV400_5_610x508.jpg

Nice to see UKSF getting the good stuff.

EDIT for more accurate info.
Looks to be two separate models of vehicle. One, with quad headlights, is the operational version of the above.
The other, with dual headlights, looks to be an Al Tha'lab: JLVM

Reasons for mixed vehicle use unknown. Could be the LRV is replacing the Al Tha'lab in theater.

Last edited:
a) Al Thalab according to one report - Toyota based from Jordan?

b) Plausible deniability?

Probably would have worked until Forces TV - and other media outlets - picked the story up!

There was a thread on this topic in recent days. Maybe it got hoofed because it's nobody's business?

a) Al Thalab according to one report - Toyota based from Jordan?

b) Plausible deniability?

Probably would have worked until Forces TV - and other media outlets - picked the story up!
In depth discussion last Thursday night on radio 4 about UKSF and its uses. Not too in depth but rather interesting to listen to.

Basically, SF can be deployed without certain niceties of legal requirements being discussed in parliament.

Interestingly though they did make reference to a leaked MOD policy paper that stated that the British public are more tolerant of UKSF deaths than normal green army.

I was a bit surprised to see that they weren't running around in either Jackals or something very armoured. With that in mind, can anyone shed any light on (a) what these wagons are (b) why use these over Jackals (which last time I heard, were supposed to be the nuts and pretty much built to THEM's requirements).
I have no idea about why to use one specific piece of equipment over another- but these guys aren't there for combat.
The photo's were taken near al-Tanf, which is near the Jordanian border, where they have been training and assisting a rebel grouping called the New Syrian Army (NSyA). At the time of the photo's IS were mounting a counter-attack against the NSyA, so the UK SF were taking up defensive positions outside the base.

So yeah, primarily there to train, but maybe they are doing some JTAC work too. So I don't think they need armor, they instead need mobility and to just not get in the way.

Does that match the hardware used?

There was a thread on this topic in recent days. Maybe it got hoofed because it's nobody's business?
It's hardly an OPSEC issue when you can take a look at some grainy footage being broadcast all over the shop, and then download the manufacturer's sales brochure after a cursory Google.

It's hardly an OPSEC issue when you can take a look at some grainy footage being broadcast all over the shop, and then download the manufacturer's sales brochure after a cursory Google.
I know that, I am just wondering if the conversation became a bit specific in the other thread.

It is a British photo opportunity and not much else, our countries leaders need to "keep the people entertained", clearly a photo like this would never see the light of day without Whitehall permission..

As far as the actual photo is concerned the BEEB stated that it was not taken in Syria but Jordan.

There is also very little "12" men as the beeb asserted can do in a massive war like this.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs

Is it possible that the vehicles are borrowed and that the UK SF were dropped in with a minimal footprint?

If deployed with their own kit i'd of expected them to be in Bushmasters* and Jackals/Coyotes - that's what they chose for Afghanistan with a similar climate & environment (hot and dusty).

There is also very little "12" men as the beeb asserted can do in a massive war like this.
Forward air controllers?

* "Several sources have indicated that the Ministry of Defence (MoD) have, in May 2008, procured 24 Bushmaster Infantry Mobility Vehicles (IMVs) for use with British special forces, specifically the SAS."

Is it possible that the vehicles are borrowed and that the UK SF were dropped in with a minimal footprint?

If deployed with their own kit i'd of expected them to be in Bushmasters* and Jackals/Coyotes - that's what they chose for Afghanistan with a similar climate & environment (hot and dusty).

Forward air controllers?

* "Several sources have indicated that the Ministry of Defence (MoD) have, in May 2008, procured 24 Bushmaster Infantry Mobility Vehicles (IMVs) for use with British special forces, specifically the SAS."
Clearly, but its safe to assume most (not all) airstrikes Syria or Iraq are not done with FAC, ie downtown Raqqa its clearly quit possible but highly unlikely we have white guys directing those strikes, the majority would be done with that Joint Rivet jobby and a Brimstone .

If anything these guys on the ground would be a hiderance because they will be sucking up aircraft and tec's in top cover.

As far as the actual photo is concerned the BEEB stated that it was not taken in Syria but Jordan.
This BBC article says it was apparently in Syria, and they are seemingly positioned on the outer perimeter of the base in the photo:
BBC, UK special forces pictured on the ground in Syria
The pictures, which date from June, follow an attack by the so-called Islamic State (IS) on the moderate rebel New Syrian Army base of Al Tanaf on the Syria-Iraq border. The British soldiers appear to be securing the base's perimeter.
Pretty hard to tell from here though.
Seems rather similar to the US SF being sighted in northern Syria though:

That small team isn't there to rambo up the place either.