UKSF training staff to face CM over SAS(R) deaths

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alfred_the_great, Nov 2, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. @Caecilius

Health and Safety at work Act 1974-

It shall be the duty of every employee while at work—

(a)to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work; and

(b)as regards any duty or requirement imposed on his employer or any other person by or under any of the relevant statutory provisions, to co-operate with him so far as is necessary to enable that duty or requirement to be performed or complied with.

2. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Complying with all DS instructions until mentally incapable of doing so probably counts as reasonable care.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Don't worry, he's not on my side. He's given me several too!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Was that post for shits & giggles ?
    It's got nothing to do with your quote of my previous, save for you redundantly informing everyone you were "in the army of yesteryear."
    There are also many others who were in that "army of yesteryear" and have managed to adapt to modern laws and standards.
    What's wrong with letting people train in safe and secure environments ?

• Like Like x 5
  5. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

He went through an amusing period of giving every single post of mine a SAB or BS tag, even if they were just factual. I think nearly half of my negative ratings are from him but he's never posted an explanation except once correcting me when I said the heat stroke casualties went down on the Fan Dance. Strange man.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Nope.

It was demonstrating how things must have changed in the "Modern Army".
    When were SF selection DS last CMd?

Nothing wrong at all. But recruits have to take a degree of responsibility. Doesn't it still work that way in the Army of Today?

• Like Like x 1
  7. It is entirely possible that the guys that died knew they were going down, had decided to quit, but were not able to get assistance in time because they were too far from a checkpoint, and had no comms. As posted earlier, at least one of them should have been pulled by the DS at a checkpoint. Unfortunatley, we cannot ask them what their intentions were because the safety net that should have been in place was not.

• Like Like x 2
  8. overopensights

overopensights LE Book Reviewer

'Things are different now.
    The media seems to feel they have a duty to control our lives and thoughts and to dwell on emotion, the more harrowing the better, and all done to encourage its indulgence, Cameras close in on stricken families, even at funerals, trained interviewers strive to extract the utmost grief, pain and shock in order to make viewers skin crawl. and to wallow in sentimental 'cliche.' Victims are always 'The innocent', relatives are now called 'Loved ones.' All made to sound 'compassionate' when in fact it is 'sheer entertainment for the masses. The public more often than not respond admirably to the demands of broadcasting!' Then the cry goes out as to where to place the blame!

Though these are also my thoughts, it was not written by me, it was written by an Ex Infantry Cpl of the 14th Army (Burma) who died recently. I wonder what he would think of some of the postings on this site?

• Like Like x 12
  9. I dunno, but there's quite a bit in Quartered Safe Out Here about water...even the Kipling the title is taken from is literally about water replenishment!

• Like Like x 3
  10. From Wiki:

HASAWA: Duties of employers

Section 2 states that "It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his/her employees", and in particular that such a duty extends to:
    • Provision and maintenance of plant and systems of work that are, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe and without risks to health
    So no then, an employee's responsibility to ensure his own safety and the safety of others, does not abrogate the employer from his duty of care.

I'm a little surprised that you'd try that one on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Got to say that my recollection of the book is that anyone in authority who allowed their men to go down for lack of supervision would be in an awful lot of trouble. Quite how that justifies letting off the DS in this case for doing exactly that escapes me.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Slim court-martialled Officers who allowed their men to get malaria.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I though that they (COs) were 'just' relieved of command, quicker, less hassle etc. But you could be right.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. IIRC there was a previous and very good ARRSE thread about this incident with a lot more factual detail - I think, at the time of the inquest?