UKSF training staff to face CM over SAS(R) deaths

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alfred_the_great, Nov 2, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just made headlines on R4: Chief instructor and Training Officer involved in the Brecon incident are to face CM on charges of negligence.

No link, interesting possible impact for "the group"...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. I wonder if the truth will now come out from these 2 guys, now they realise they are going to be hung out to dry by the Mod to cover other people’s asses. Loyalty is a 2 way thing isn’t it, Loyalty to yourself and others.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  3. And what was 'the truth'?

• Like Like x 1
  4. How wonderfully old fashioned, loyalty from above.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  5. What a load of crap. The risk adverse culture we find ourselves in now can only have a negative impact.

Why is there always someone who has to be blamed? Ridiculous.

• Like Like x 4
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 3
  6. Are you sure you can handle the truth?

• Funny Funny x 19
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

No truth-handler, you! I deride your truth-handling abilities!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Because wasting 3 good candidate’s lives on a training/testing exercise isn’t being ‘risk averse’ it’s being negligent. It’s that simple really.

Practices like this won’t change until people in senior positions are held accountable for them.

• Like Like x 25
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  9. Because where there is blame. There is a claim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. I agree that it is a tragic loss of three potentially good SF(R) operators but they weren’t the only blokes affected by the heat, they were unfortunately, the ones that went down.

They pushed themselves to heat exhaustion and that determination is laudable. They were trying to achieve some exceptional which should be difficult and although it shouldn’t take your life, it shouldn’t be without manageable risk.

How many individuals throughout the years have gone through the hills with less in the way of prep courses. That’s rhetorical.

What happened to these blokes was a tragic set of unfortunate circumstances with the weather and their determination to succeed.

It seems that the SPA seem to think it’s logistically possible for somebody to attend blokes that have gone down instantly to apply immediate first aid.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Seems to be the case, last paragraph from the link - "Initially, the SPA decided charges were not going to be directed against the pair, but relatives of the soldiers who died asked for the case to be reviewed."

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. No loyalty when it comes to things like the countless cases where MoD has passed the book to the lowest common denominator.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I think you will find that "corporate manslaughter" will be the reason they are being taken to court.

Loyalty has nothing to do with it.

People lost their lives because a training course went ahead despite extreme weather conditions. That is unacceptable and the deaths were avoidable. If the reason behind running the course was due to pressure from the top...then the top must fall. As a Training Officer or Chief Instructor, they must take direct responsibility for the course going ahead.

• Like Like x 14
  14. Yep, not on this scale or result thankfully, but years ago had a bod with severe blisters following a run/ill fitting boots combo ... or just had weak feet ;-)

MO bedded him down with Ibrufen or some other shite.

I was Duty Dog and got a call by one of his muckas later that evening about the fellas pain.

Took a look - swollen, pus, etc...got the duty driver to rush him to the nearest hospital with an instruction for them to call me..

Nurse rang and passed on the message involving words like 'Septicaemia/ Sepsis/ blood poisoning.. and if we had waited another hour he would have died , blah, blah, blah'

Yeah cheers Luv, when do we get him back and what you up to next Saturday?

My reward from the RSM the next day was to be put on an extra the next Saturday ....he gave me some bolloxs about following procedures, etc ... I gave him the look that said, yeah, I was a full screw before you and you know it too - but I didn't toe the party line or kiss enough arrse hence me being a Sjt for 10 years while you slithered up the greasy pole.

Anyhoo, sometimes you have to have the courage and integrity to feck everyone off and do what is needed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 40
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1