UK's Most Important Building

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrHappy, Sep 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Doing a bit of research for a presentation.

What is the UK's most important building socially, historically and economically from the following list?

a) The Houses of Parliament
    b) St Pauls Cathedral
    c) The Olympic Stadium
    d) The Local Public House

A short justification would really help me shape an argument! Feedback appreciated!

2. Socially, the pub.
    Historically, probably St Paul's - but of course the HoP include the Palace of Westminster which are important, unlike the horrible gothic that is the rest.
    Economically, probably the pub again.

The Olympic Stadium had some passing value, but it will soon have West Ham in it.

3. fu2

fu2 LE

If you are looking for a tgt for your suicide bomber then it has to be the Houses of Parliament. Justification : Politicians !! (lots of them)

4. E. The tea bag factory.

• Like Like x 5
  5. I'd argue none of the above and say the Naval College at Greenwich as representing the development of the Empire, ruling the waves and all the economic and social benefits that came with it.
    Another option would be the early cotton mills as representing the industrial revolution and the urbanisation of this country.

Out of your list I would say that currently the Public House is the most important barometer of where we are politically and economically and also socially (declining attendances, having to branch out from traditional boozers into restaurants with booze, mass market drinks now being supplemented by small, premium local brews)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Based on my thoughts as to how they effect peoples lives.
    1/ The pub. It is the heart of the local community and will have the most effect on local lives.
    2/ Parliament. No one is really interested in what happens there and much of it will have little or no effect on people's every day lives, but now and then a tax rise or fuel duty will have an impact on all of us.
    3/ The sports stadium. Most of us watched the Olypics and para Olympics on the TV and many people reguard football as their religion, but percentage wise not many people actually go to sports stadiums.
    4/The Cathedral. St Paul's is a beautiful building and any of our gretest heros are burried there' but who gives a tinkers cuss about religion anymore? and would it effect Mr average's life one iota if the cathedral wasn't there?

7. Until they banned smoking and drink driving the local pub was great - therefore, sadly, it is the HoP as that is where the twats make up the rules.

8. OP , I note that architecture / design wasn't a consideration. Was there a reason? There remains loads of sterile, bland concrete structures whether office or residential in London which ably summarise '60's and '70's UK thinking. That last remark will at least lead you comment on your social and economic points. Architecture is an able combat indicator to where we are as a nation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I would go with the Pub up until the time of cheap super market beer.

So many social transactions took place and even today, it is a focal point in some villages and provides refuge in times of floods etc.

Leave England any amount of time and you begin to miss the Public House and the Publican.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Couldn't agree more. It's long been a frustration to me that countries like Italy will still put effort into something as bland as a multi-storey car park, and then you look at what we put up with. Civic buildings used to be a source of pride.

But while we're on, can London please have a break from glass and steel? And is it just me but now that The Shard is finished why does it look so, erm, unfinished?

11. Should architecture remain static or move forward, the Italians appear to wish to live in the past, hell they have not even repaired the Colloseum. London architecture has always been about the here and now. It makes for a mish mash of styles but it is not a museum.

12. This thread posted on 11th of the 9th... hmmm...

13. Given you avatar picture anything might happen in the next 6 hours.

14. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Then why is 'here and now' all so samey? I'm not disputing that things should move on but equally architecture has often used or celebrated local materials. Glass and concrete galore seems to be a mantra.