• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

UKs First Web Rage Conviction

Look, I've searched for this and nothing showed up so I don't think it's been posted before but if some smartarse wants to prove me wrong they can ram it!

Grrrrr.

MacUser said:
Wednesday 18th October 2006

UK man convicted in first Web rage case

A man has been found guilty of the UK's first 'Web rage' attack, after tracking down and attacking a man who insulted him on the Internet.
After an argument in chat room, including allegations of paedophilia, Paul Gibbons traced John Jones to his home in Essex where he turned up with a pickaxe handle and accompanied by another as-yet-unnamed man carrying a machete.

Gibbons beat Jones, then cut him across his throat, narrowly missing his jugular vein. He fled when Jones' partner called for help.

Gibbons later boasted about the attack to another chat room user.

Jones had used his real name when online and Gibbons traced him using electoral records. Sergeant Jean-Marc Bazzoni of the Essex Police, who led the investigation, warned chatroom users never to provide personal information.

'It was easy for Gibbons to track the victims down because he built up a picture of personal details they had let slip,' he said.

Gibbons, who has a number of previous convictions for violence and weapons offences, was remanded in custody for sentencing next month.

Simon Aughton

Oh oh, those gobby internet nerds had better watch out. Being brave on the end of a keyboard isn't as safe as it used to be!!

:)

Of course! And just to prove the truly international credentials of this case, Gibbons and Jones met in the Yahoo Islam 10 chat room and the prosecutor was Mr Ibitayo Adebayo.

And the best we could do was stage the drama in Essex.

Fcuk - is that gonna give the walts an idea too many!!!

I can just see the walt SAS forming in the tree line :roll:

People would be surprised just how easy it is to find out details on others.

Not just electoral register stuff either. Be v careful peeps. Never use your real name.

bollocky_scout said:
People would be surprised just how easy it is to find out details on others.

Not just electoral register stuff either. Be v careful peeps. Never use your real name.
Absolutely right.

Yours

Dierdre Edna McHaggis IV