UK's air capacity

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by unicycle, Mar 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just heard the PM saying he is going to use Brit forces to help enforce the no-fly zone over Libya. Commiting to send Tornados, Typhoons and air monitering aircraft.

Quick question, can the RAF do this right now, with no money and what AWACS style capacity do we have any more, if any?

It just seems odd that this govenment is slash happy when it comes to cutting the MOD's budget but there seem super keen to throw their weight around if it makes DC look good.

2. Er, it's called AWACS. That's the 'AWACS style capacity' we have and they have been looking for a deployment for ages.
    Nimrod R1 has been extended in service for a bit.
    Typhoons will be gagging to get sent and the Tonkas will just get on with it.
    As for money, that's why Dave waited for a UN mandate. The UN will pay.

3. I know what AWACS is thank you, I was just wondering if HMG had decided to scrap them yet.

I don't know much about the RAF deployment to Afghan so I wasn't sure how a downsized RAF would handle yet another deployment. It's not realy about the cash, more about the strain on resources, people and airframes.

I just found it galling that the current govenment are willing to both cut personal and budgets yet they still want to deploy HM forces to where ever they can if it makes them look good.

4. Where have you been all these years, asleep?

5. ..but five minutes worth of internet research would have shed light on their equipment and capabilities.

Why? It's what Governments do when there's no cash in the coffers. Five more minutes of internet research on the period prior to WW2 would have been revealing.

6. Not by the look of his avatar.

7. Well I won't come here for information or a well informed opinion again.

But I guess the saying is true "The only thing we learn from history, is that we never learn from history." And yes I do know a bit about the state of the armed forces in the later '30's but atleast Churchill and others were calling for an increases in air and sea power as they could see which way the wind was blowing. There hasn't been many MP's fighting our corner in the Commons, although there have been some.

8. Mind the door on the way out, chap.