Ukrainian 737 crashes in Iran

New footage. CCTV with the incorrect date but that is not uncommon.

The footage does appear to match up with 2 missile launches and then the fireball of the aircraft as it makes its turn.

To my semi trained eye that footage seems pretty damning.
Poor souls that might have still been alive after the missile strikes, it seems a long time until you can see the final flash(off screen)as the aircraft hits the ground.

To my semi trained eye that footage seems pretty damning.
Poor souls that might have still been alive after the missile strikes, it seems a long time until you can see the final flash(off screen)as the aircraft hits the ground.
Awful way to go, terrified and able to do eff all . Sometimes , being next to the blast is the mercy seat. May they RIP.

Interesting cameras, don't they still use infrared SLR's for this sort of thing?
Not being a transportation investigator, I can't say for sure. However, it looks like they're just going around taking normal photographs of stuff on the ground, in which case I don't know why a normal DSLR wouldn't be the camera of choice.

According to reports, Iran will be sending the black boxes to Ukraine. Experts from France, Canada, and the US will be able to examine them there. It would seem likely to me that the US experts will be people from Boeing.
Iran sending black boxes of downed plane to Ukraine, report says
"With the use of the expertise of the countries of France, Canada and America we will try to read the [flight data recorder] in Kyiv," Hassan Rezaifar, a director in charge of accident investigations at Iran's Civil Aviation Organization, was quoted as saying by Tasnim.
If they are not able to read then in Ukraine, then they will be sent on to France.
"If this effort is unsuccessful then the black box will be sent to France."
They won't be reading them in Iran.
The black boxes will not be read in Iran, Rezaifar said, according to Tasnim.
Canada has been pressing for the black boxes to be sent to France, as the French are one of the few with the ability to read damaged flight recorders.
Fifty-seven of the dead were Canadian. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who has been pressing for a full investigation into the plane downing, said on Friday that Iran should send the black boxes to France for analysis.

France was one of the few countries with the ability to read the flight and cockpit data recorders from the jet, which were badly damaged, Trudeau told a news conference in Ottawa.

Canada's foreign minister François-Philippe Champagne met with Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in Oman on Friday to discuss the investigation. He also pressed Iran to send the black boxes to either Ukraine or France more quickly.
Canada presses Iran to share black boxes from PS752 crash amid mixed signals from Tehran
"When you say to the world you take full responsibility, that comes with consequences," Champagne told reporters at the Liberal cabinet retreat in Winnipeg. "What I did say to the Iranian foreign minister is that the wish of Canada, the wish of the co-ordination group, is that the black [boxes] be sent quickly either to Ukraine or to France. (...)

"I wrote this morning to my Iranian counterpart to stress again the wish of Canada, the wish of the co-ordination group, and I would think the wish of the international community that the black [boxes] be sent where [they] should be sent," he said.
The Iranian press have said that the Iranian accident investigation board are still trying to read the black boxes themselves.
"We are trying to read the black boxes here in Iran; otherwise, our options are Ukraine and France, but no decision has been taken so far to send them to another country," the agency reported him saying.

How sad; the cause of the crash is not the driver for access to the black boxes. The black boxes are something of a political football now, rather that a must-have to determine the crash reason. We already know that the aircraft was shot down. If my relatives were on it, I’m not sure I’d want to know the details. The CVR must be harrowing.

It looks that hardly information from the black boxes would add anything important to the picture of the tragedy that we see now. Reportedly at least one missile exploded just near the pilots cabin and they died immediately. After the confession made by Iranian authorities the investigation lost any political components and is concentrated around just technical details.

There's a bit of a problem in deciding the nationality of some of the passengers on the plane. Many of the "foreign" ones were dual national Iranians, and Iran doesn't recognise dual citizenship. It's not entirely clear what consequence this may have, if any.
Iran considers dual nationals on downed Ukrainian plane to be Iranians
"We have informed Canada that Tehran considers dual nationals who were killed in the plane crash as Iranian citizens … Iran is mourning their deaths," Foreign Ministry spokesperson Abbas Mousavi told a televised weekly news conference.

Mousavi announced that the "loved ones who have perished were Iranian" and that Iran did not accept their dual citizenships.

"According to our laws … we recognize them as Iranians. We will take measures for the victims and their families according to our own laws," he said.
Iran has told Canada that the families wishes on where the remains go will be respected.
Foreign Affairs Minister François-Philippe Champagne's office told CBC News that Canada has had assurance from Iran that the deceased families' wishes would be respected regarding where remains would go.

"We continue to expect that that will be the case and have been clear with the Iranians about that expectation," spokesperson Adam Austen said.

Iran has asked for equipment from France and the US in order to download the information from the black boxes. They say they have not gotten a response to this request yet.
Iran seeks help from U.S., France to download downed plane's black box info
Iran has requested equipment it says it needs from U.S. and French authorities to download information from black boxes on a downed Ukrainian passenger plane, but Tehran had not yet received a positive response, the Iranian civil aviation body said.
Canada and other involved countries have asked the Iranians to send the boxes to another country, with Canada's preferred option being France.
Canada, Ukraine and other nations who had citizens on the flight in which all 176 people aboard were killed when it was accidentally shot down on Jan. 8, have asked Iran to send the flight data and voice recorders to experts abroad for analysis.

The UN International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) say they will review the issue of civil passenger planes flying in conflict zones. They have joined in the investigation into the current crash.
United Nations to review dangers of flying in conflict zones after deadly Iran crash
In a rare move, a team with the UN's International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), including four Canadians, has also joined the safety investigation into the Ukrainian plane that was shot down by Iran on Jan. 8.
This review into conflict zone guidelines will take place after the crash investigation is complete.
ICAO confirmed to CBC News it will look into its conflict zone guidance and compliance once the investigation into the crash is complete.

"All of this depends on the recommendations brought forward by the investigating states," ICAO spokesperson Anthony Philbin said in a statement to CBC News.
Iran has invited ICAO to provide guidance on the crash investigation itself.
Iran invited ICAO to provide expert advice as part of the probe. The move came as pressure from the international community mounted for a thorough and transparent investigation into how and why Iran shot the passenger plane out of the sky.

The remains of a second Canadian killed in the crash are being shipped back today, and another 13 are in the process of being repatriated. Apparently 15 families want remains to be sent to Canada. It's not clear though if this means 15 bodies out of the 57 Canadians killed, or if that 15 may mean more bodies once multiple family members are included in the count.
Remains of second Canadian PS752 crash victim returning to Canada
The remains of a second Canadian killed when Iran shot down Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752 earlier this month will arrive back in Canada today, says the federal government's point person on the crash.

Speaking at an event today in Toronto, Omar Alghabra, the parliamentary secretary to the prime minister, said fifteen families want their loved ones' remains to be repatriated.

One body was returned yesterday, a second will arrive Wednesday and the government is in the process of repatriating another 13 victims, said the Liberal MP.

The remains of a second Canadian killed in the crash are being shipped back today, and another 13 are in the process of being repatriated. Apparently 15 families want remains to be sent to Canada. It's not clear though if this means 15 bodies out of the 57 Canadians killed, or if that 15 may mean more bodies once multiple family members are included in the count.
Remains of second Canadian PS752 crash victim returning to Canada
I can't help but wonder if the delays are so that Iranian surgeons can remove AA shrapnel from the corpses.

I can't help but wonder if the delays are so that Iranian surgeons can remove AA shrapnel from the corpses.
The impression that I get from the Canadian press is that there are issues with the families making arrangements, plus consular issues and problems with getting visas given that Canada doesn't have an embassy in Iran. I think there may have been issues with identifying some bodies, as Canada had to gather DNA samples from relatives in Canada and send them off. Canada has also been arranging emergency financing for the families to deal with all the issues involved, so that has had to go through as well.

I haven't been posting all the news stories as they occur as many of them are probably not of much interest to most people on this site. I've just posted about the body repatriation so that people can see there are things going on and progress being made.

The following video panel discussion "Iran, Canada, and the Consequences" is an excellent analysis of the situation in the Middle East and how it affects resolving the issues around the Ukrainian airline crash. It's about 30 minutes long, with the first 2/3rds talking about the political, diplomatic, and military situation, and discussions of issues more directly related to the crash in last 1/3rd. I highly recommend it.

I have also posted this on the more general Iraq thread as it has relevance to that discussion as well.

Canada has asked the UN to prod the Iranians into either speed up analysing the black boxes or to hand them over to someone who can.
At Canada's request, UN agency nudges Iran over delayed analysis of Flight PS752's black boxes
The United Nations agency for civilian aviation is sending a letter to Iran after Canada asked it to press Iranian investigators to swiftly analyze the contents of Flight PS752's black boxes — or turn the flight recorders over to a country that can.
Under international rules Iran is responsible for leading the investigation. If they don't have adequate facilities to read the black boxes, they are supposed to get help form someone who does.
Garneau asked the agency to find out if Iran is following international requirements for plane crash investigations. Under the terms of the international convention on civil aviation, the country leading a crash investigation is expected to "arrange for the read-out of the flight recorders without delay." Those terms also say that if a country doesn't have "adequate facilities" to read the flight recorders, it should turn to another country for help.
Canada's preferred result would be for Iran to get France to do it for them.
Garneau said he raised similar concerns with his counterpart in Iran yesterday.

"I encouraged him to move ahead expeditiously," he said. "I told him we did not believe they have the necessary expertise and equipment in order to do the analysis and the decoding of the boxes, which may be damaged."

Garneau said he asked Iran's Transportation Minister Mohammad Eslami to look into sending the two flight data recorders to France, adding that Canada also wants to participate in the analysis. He said Iran asked Canada to send it an official letter about the matter.

Latest Threads