UKIP taking 26 percent of the vote in local elections

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kromeriz, May 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Personally I do not agree with UKIP but as of this time, it is being reported that UKIP have taken 26 percent of the vote in local elections by the World Service.

Should that be repeated in national elections, then they could be the second party and dynamically change the face of British politics.

For sure they have destroyed the Lib Dems but will they have an impact on Labour or the Conservatives should this be repeated in a general election?

2. If? this is reflected in a general election I for one would welcome the change it would bring. The main parties would have to pay more attention to the people they are supposed to serve instead of being the self serving cnuts they have been for too long.
    • Like Like x 31
  3. Local elections tend to be the time voters try to make statements about the government of the day, and while local politicians bear the brunt of national politician's policies & posturing, it rarely translates into a party of outsiders gaining any seats, let alone any tangible power or influence.

Sent 2 weeks ago by Royal Fail Speshel Delivery
    • Like Like x 1
  4. If UKIP polished up their act a bit, had a few more coherent spokesmen on education, defense, health, and employment explaining the party's position I could see inroads being made across the country.

The Five Star movement in Italy just started with just Beppe Grillo only a few years back, now they hold a third of the senate seats. Its a protest vote for sure but also a vote for change against the old system.
    • Like Like x 6
  5. All other the BBC World News

Lib Dems are blaming their role in government and the fact that they have made difficult choices for their poor results.

Staffordshire have taken 28 percent in Tamworth. Serious number.
  6. If UKIP had put in appearance I would have voted for them.

As it was, I could only vote for ANYONE who wasn't the Limp Dicks or Liebor.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. They'd have to try really bloody hard to be more clueless than the shower who currently occupy Westminster!
    • Like Like x 4
  8. It's a good thing. What it will do is push Con and Lab back towards their more traditional positions. I welcome that because there will be once again a proper choice.

UKIP are still a one issue party and have no credible other positions. I'd expect to see them deconstructed over the next year. Farage doesn't stand up to proper scrutiny. I'd be more worried if I was Labour than if I was Conservative. It's natural to take votes from Con and they can be taken back but if they're taking votes off Labour, I'd be worried.

I do also chuckle at the fickle nature of the voter. Remember the Clegg phenomenon at the last General Election?

Where did that all end up ?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. So, confession time.
    I held my nose and voted UKIP yesterday for two reasons:

1) The cosy centralist Westminster Village and its associated party machines need a damn good rodding out. Over a period of decades they have stripped power from the local and district councils and created their own fiefdoms. They moan that the local elections arent local and are a verdict on the incumbent government - well tough, its their own fault. They made it a national battlefield because so much policy is made by the centre now - and I'm also still furious over the expences scandal.

2) When the big three parties started dishing dirt on UKIP candidates and frankly, insulting the electorate, I wanted to register my displeasure.

UKIP - not perfect, and yes, probably contains more nuts than a fruitcake (nuts can always be removed), but if this election allows them to grow up a bit, gives them a platform to become a serious threat to the status quo, then its a good thing.
    • Like Like x 17
  10. The Tories were expecting a thrashing-Mid term, Council elections, unpopular Coalition...the perfect storm. It's almost impossible NOT to get caned.
    The thing is- Labour didn't get any significant bounce here. They should have scored big.
    Instead, a 'single issue' protest vote movement, largely populated by natural Conservative voters, did well in their place.

In a General election, when it really counts, which way would the UKIPers vote? Not Labour, I think.
    In the run up to the next General election, I expect to see the Conservatives parking their tanks on UKIPs lawn. UKIP only have that one policy issue. If the Tories move to offer a more bluntly Eurosceptic, and frankly xenophobic position, expect to see that UKIP mandate melt away.

It is a vote of No Confidence in Labour under their current management, and the Libs have been crushed.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Until they are elected then it will be much the same, which the general public realise.

Farage has been a MEP since 1999 and has more experience of Europe than probably any other UK politician, He's got two years to diversify the UKIP manifesto and clean out the 'peculiar' from his party; he is eloquent and unforgiving as his speeches in Brussels show, they also show he has more balls and charisma than the children currently in power.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. one tory who had been bumped by ukip said this should be a message to the party but they are so arrogant they will not hear it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I like fruitcake...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. If, and I know it's not going to happen, UKIP happened to score big in the General Election and managed to form a government, they would (I assume) have an immediate referendum on EU membership. If that referendum then voted for staying in the EU, what would UKIP do for the next 5 years? All their policies, cuts, trading plans etc depend on breaking with the EU. Would they just twiddle their thumbs until the next referendum comes up?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. That's easy they would put in their manifesto that a majority UKIP government would take the UK out of the EU tout suite; the election being the referendum...
    • Like Like x 2