UKIP Now have Representation in The Lords as 2 Tories Defect

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gremlin, Jan 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Oh great just what we needed:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=WHCYGJJP0U3XRQFIQMGCFFOAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/01/09/uukip106.xml

Full Story:

2. With a bit of luck, most of the cons, apart from the dickheads like Cameron will move across to UKIP. I heard they are nicely nationalistic, to the right (not the fcuking middle ground between bliars' cheeks) and see our armed forces as a good thing for the defense of the realm.

The more proper tories leave Camertwat behind and join UKIP, the better!!

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

All well and good, but if the tories start bitch slapping each other and throwing toys around, look forward to life in GB under GB.

4. Now there is a scary, if unlikely prospect. Mind you, it's only untaxed dole bludgers and the morally deficient that would vote for GB, and the labour party are creating more of these each day that passes. The fcukers still might get back in!

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Which is exactly what will happen if the Tories split and have a whole-scale bitch fight.

Unite and win or divide and die. It is a simple equation.

6. Is it not time that only those paying tax and the pensioners had the vote ?
    Allowance to be made for , say , up to one year , for those unemployed.
    If you belong to a club and don't pay your dues you don't have a vote in the running of the club.

7. Sorry should have added to that , all service people and vets get one vote for each year of service .

8. The problem i difficult in terms of resolving the bitch fight though. This despicable Euro project has been on the drawing board for over 80 years from it's founding days under Monet et al.

It has not come too far for the whole process to carry on without us. The US will shaft us in favour of trading with the EU, te EU will shaft us for not being members when everyone else is, and the Ruskies couldn't give a sh1t.

We no longer have an empire so cannot becoem uber-ruch again through those means and by not being members of the EU, we would be hit by so many import and export taxes, we'd be defunct in no time.

This whole Euro project has been sneaked in, little by little, under the noses of everyone for such a long time, it is now going to fcuk the UK if we bail out.

The silly sods jumping ship to UKIP over this will, as you say, weaken the Cons, but it won't get THEM into power either.

The whole thing sucks because the Eurosceptics can't see the writing on the wall.

Because of the impending bitch-fight, we are all DOOOOOMMEEEDDD!!!

Am I wrong?

9. Lords Pearson and Willoughby de Broke are well-known nutters who have had a "thing" about Europe for years

If UKIP split the Tory vote and let the Gordonites run riot for another 5 years, they will have a lot to answer for

10. Same bloody thing that did for the Cons in the first place, disunity of this sodding issue.

What we all need to do is raise the West Lothian question loudly and often - that way we can actually try and get GB fcuked off back north of the border. After all, it was he and his party that highlighted it when they were trying to blag the Scottish vote.

If can do this small thing, there will not be a GB running this country. Or am I wrong?

11. Ah, franchise qualification! It's oh so tempting, given that huge swathes of non-tax-payers will never vote out a party that panders to them. Talk about giving the keys of the asylum to the inmates... :roll:

As for the main topic, I can believe it, but I can't believe it. I'm not a fan of the EU by any means and if Cameron's reneged on a pledge then he's in the wrong, but I am appalled that the Europhile / Eurosceptic fight has risen to the fore once again.

12. Enfranchising (or disenfranchising) sections of the population is nothing new. Roughly a labour held seat has a voters roll of 45,000 whilst a Conservative held seat has one of approx 60,000. It is a little more confused in this Parliament due to a number of traditional Conservative seats having fallen to Labour.

With an inbuilt advantage like that the Conservatives have to achieve a far higher share of the vote than Labour in order to win a majority.

Dunny-On -The-Wold anyone?

Huge apologies if it turns out to be 45,037 and 59,973 respectively, the point is the same.

13. The vast majority of Cameron's party are anti-EU, but don't want to rock the boat. Those of us inclined toward the Tories do not want to see GB, with his inbuilt antipathy to all things military, but since 80% of our laws now come from Brussels, handed down by peole we have not elected, the choice between Cameron and GB is almost irrelevant.
    When it comes to standing alongside continental Europeans when the chips are down, it was the plucky little effing Belgians who refused our request for 105mm shells for the first Gulf War. Peter de la Billiere likened most Continental military outfits to the CCF. The only ones worth anything in the field, he said, were the French Foreign Legion and the Dutch Marines. When we need some help in Afghanistan, where are they? Swanning around out of harms way up North whilst the Brits take on all comers. Even the Krauts seem to have lost their bottle.
    If you want to know about the EU and the political and economic dangers of remaining in the EU, just type 'Eurosceptic' into Google. You will find that, economically, remaining in the EU makes noe sense at all. Five cost/benefit analyses carried out since 2001 say that we would be better off out. But read it for yourself.

14. Lets not forget
    THE greatest leader this country has ever had
    jumped ship from the Tories (admittedly to the Liberals)
    Winston Churchill, just a pity we don't have a leader like him
    especially as we are now at War and the country's defence spending is at its lowest for decades
    Sound familiar
    all we want now is our current glorious leader to give in to Fundamentalism(any sort) and the wheel will of come full circle
    and i don't fancy our chances this time

15. Sir Winston Churchill in 1953 said: "We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are associated, but not absorbed, and should a European statesman address us and say 'Shall we speak for thee?' we should reply, 'Nay sir, for we dwell among our own people.' "