UKIP leader to challenge the speakers position.

Telegragh link

The Telegraph can reveal that Mr Farage will make the announcement that he will stand in Mr Bercow's Buckingham seat at Ukip’s annual conference on Friday.

Mr Farage said: “This man represents all that is wrong with British politics today. He was embroiled in the expenses saga and he presides over a Parliament that virtually does nothing.

Mr Bercow was a controversial choice for Speaker. He was elected by fellow MPs after Michael Martin was forced to resign over his poor handling of the MPs’ expenses’ scandal.

But Mr Bercow won the position with almost no support from fellow Conservative MPs. Instead, his success was down to the backing of a majority of Labour MPs who were happy for him to take the chair.

They knew he was mistrusted by his own side, including the Tory leadership. Mr Bercow, who was previously considered a right winger, became more liberal-minded and even agreed to conduct a review for Gordon Brown, something that irritated Tory MPs.
Good for Farage and UKIP,I personally would like to see Farage as speaker himself should he be victorious in the ousting the wringing wet Bercow.

Alsacien

MIA
insert-coin-here said:
Telegragp link

The Telegraph can reveal that Mr Farage will make the announcement that he will stand in Mr Bercow's Buckingham seat at Ukip’s annual conference on Friday.

Mr Farage said: “This man represents all that is wrong with British politics today. He was embroiled in the expenses saga and he presides over a Parliament that virtually does nothing.

Mr Bercow was a controversial choice for Speaker. He was elected by fellow MPs after Michael Martin was forced to resign over his poor handling of the MPs’ expenses’ scandal.

But Mr Bercow won the position with almost no support from fellow Conservative MPs. Instead, his success was down to the backing of a majority of Labour MPs who were happy for him to take the chair.

They knew he was mistrusted by his own side, including the Tory leadership. Mr Bercow, who was previously considered a right winger, became more liberal-minded and even agreed to conduct a review for Gordon Brown, something that irritated Tory MPs.
Good for Farage and UKIP,I personally would like to see Farage as speaker himself should he be victorious in the ousting the wringing wet Bercow.
Can he stand as an MP without standing down as an MEP?

This being the same Farage who as an MEP spent nearly £2 million of taxpayers' money in expenses and allowances on top of his salary.
(I agree on your view of Bercow though...)

Alsacien said:

This being the same Farage who as an MEP spent nearly £2 million of taxpayers' money in expenses and allowances on top of his salary.
Yes - didn't some of the Ulster pols do this, MP, MEP and probably MLA as well.

And isn't Salmond an MP and MSP?

If Bercow lost, he would no doubt be "Elevated" (And I use that term very loosely) to The Lords with the rest of the thieving ermine vermin.

The_Coming_Man said:
If Bercow lost, he would no doubt be "Elevated" (And I use that term very loosely) to The Lords with the rest of the thieving ermine vermin.
Well as he's a proper little short arse, just a cushion would elevate him to new and giddy heights.

Alsacien

MIA
Idrach said:
Alsacien said:

Yes - didn't some of the Ulster pols do this, MP, MEP and probably MLA as well.

And isn't Salmond an MP and MSP?
Double salary too?

What happens when important issues come up and he has to be in 2 places at once?

Bet the thievin cnut would claim every expense twice too....

Alsacien said:

To be fair to Farage the expenses cash he has been given by the EU has been ploughed back into UKIP,a lovely little irony.

Its hardly been used to flip second houses like Bercow has done.And futher to that even if Farage pocketed it,2 million over a decade is small beer compared to what he would have made in the private sector if he had not of gone into politics.

A lot of MP's seem to go into policitics to make a few quid for themselves at the taxpayers expense,the opposite is true of Farage....he actually believes in what he is doing.

Alsacien said:
Double salary too?

What happens when important issues come up and he has to be in 2 places at once?

Bet the thievin cnut would claim every expense twice too....
Paisley was: Dr Ian R K Paisley MP MEP MLA

Salmond is: MSP Gordon / MP Banff & Buchan, as well as the glorious leader of the pictish horde.

Under parliamentary rules, Salmond is eligible to take his full MP’s salary, one-third of his MSP’s and his full first minister’s pay. He donates his reduced MSP’s earnings — £18,460 — to charity, leaving him with a salary of £144,990.
The Tories say Salmond has taken part in only 50 Commons votes since becoming first minister, compared with 431 for Jo Swinson, the Scottish Liberal Democrat MP.

"He [Salmond] has the worst voting and speaking record of any Scottish MP over the last three years and he is rarely at Westminster," said (Annabel) Goldie.
Edited to add - you can see his Westmonster expenses claims here: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/alex_salmond/banff_and_buchan

Elected 1st Minister in May 2007, his claims dropped from an outstanding 9th highest (although he does have a long way to travel - where he was 10th highest), to a "why is he still allowed to claim this sh1t" 416th - low on the troughers list but a more than respectable £139,233.

The Tories say Salmond has taken part in only 50 Commons votes since becoming first minister, compared with 431 for Jo Swinson, the Scottish Liberal Democrat MP.

"He [Salmond] has the worst voting and speaking record of any Scottish MP over the last three years and he is rarely at Westminster," said (Annabel) Goldie.
Count yourselves lucky. The salad dodging berk could eat every Commons Restaurant bare.

Farage would be unable to continue as an MEP if he gained the seat from Bercow. You can no longer serve as a member of a national parliament and of the European parliament simultaneously - the rule has been in force for quite some time, but the UK had an exemption until this year for reasons I forget.

There is one British MEP, Sarah Ludford, who is a Baroness - she would've been forced to step down as an MEP had a statutory instrument (The European Parliament [House of Lords Disqualification] Regulations 2008) not been enacted to allow her to suspend her membership of the Lords. Farage will not have this option, of course, and would have to step down from the European position.

Archimedes said:
There is one British MEP, Sarah Ludford, who is a Baroness - she would've been forced to step down as an MEP had a statutory instrument (The European Parliament [House of Lords Disqualification] Regulations 2008) not been enacted to allow her to suspend her membership of the Lords. Farage will not have this option, of course, and would have to step down from the European position.
Ah yes, the draft for the "Lord Mandelson for Prime Minister [Whores of Lords Disqualification] Regulations 2010".

Alsacien

MIA
insert-coin-here said:
Alsacien said:

To be fair to Farage the expenses cash he has been given by the EU has been ploughed back into UKIP,a lovely little irony.

Its hardly been used to flip second houses like Bercow has done.And futher to that even if Farage pocketed it,2 million over a decade is small beer compared to what he would have made in the private sector if he had not of gone into politics.

A lot of MP's seem to go into policitics to make a few quid for themselves at the taxpayers expense,the opposite is true of Farage....he actually believes in what he is doing.
200k a year in expense claims is justified because he may have made more privately - not an MP yourself are you?
IIRC some of this was inflated wages to admin staff who just happened to be members of his family.
Fine upstanding character of the community... :roll:

Bet he does not have the minerals to quit as an MEP though, too much to lose as he has never polled double figures in his vain attempts to become an MP......

Alsacien said:
200k a year in expense claims is justified because he may have made more privately - not an MP yourself are you?
You tell me if its justified.....after all you're the one who thinks the EU is great.

Alsacien

MIA
insert-coin-here said:
Alsacien said:
You tell me if its justified.....after all you're the one who thinks the EU is great.
UKIP MEP's are con artists, but fools are easily led.
I don't think the EU is great and have never suggested so.

When Bercow used to do Question Time he had an annoying habit of lifting the cheek of one ARRSE every time he spoke. I was longing to shout "SIT STILL".

Bercow is a cnut of the first order,and the best of luck to Mr Farage in standing against him.

Alsacien

MIA
Le_addeur_noir said:
Bercow is a cnut of the first order,and the best of luck to Mr Farage in standing against him.
Trouble is Farage is first order cnut too - 5 failed attempts at being an MP, never polling more the 8% of the vote (despite cherry picking his by-elections), then jumps on the MEP boat and sets a record for expense claims..... :roll:

Watch me get proved right when he does not stand down as an MEP - after all, he would be putting his family and friends out of jobs in several cases too... :roll:

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
A couple of thoughts -

If UK Independent Party candidates are elected why to they claim expenses from the EU Parliament, surely if here is a conflict of interests then it here.

Bercow is one of the troughers for sure but much more preferable than Martin.

Ok more than a couple of thoughts.... The speaker should be outside of party politics and having people stand against him is making independence as a speaker difficult if not impossible. I would much rather support a measure that the speaker is automatically re-elected than erode one of the central check and balance elements within our parliament.

( I still want Betty Boothroyd to come out of retirement and show them how its done)

Archimedes said:
Farage would be unable to continue as an MEP if he gained the seat from Bercow. You can no longer serve as a member of a national parliament and of the European parliament simultaneously - the rule has been in force for quite some time, but the UK had an exemption until this year for reasons I forget.
Does anybody know what happens when an MEP stands down?

As they were elected on a party list system, the party should be able to nominate a replacement. However, logic seldom figures in the EU.

I thought Farage has said on more then one occasion that he wanted to "get into TV" when he was done as an MEP?