UKIP & EU Manifesto

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Robbo_72, Apr 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't like communism and hover around the center on average.

Seen this and made me think a bit.....

Source: The EU ‘Is the New Communism’: The Fiery Speech Denouncing the EU You Don’t Want to Miss | Video |

Must admit, I think Farage has got it spot on as far as the EU goes.

Can UKIP be trusted with Defense?
    • Like Like x 14
  2. The idea of Europe isnt Evil or Communism its execution is however inept, undemocratic and in deperate need to overhaul

The EMU, was in concept an extrememly good idea, BUT a single currency the prime requisite is that you have a single economic policy and governance of said currency

The orginial rules for entry to the EMU were extremely tightly restricitive in the conditions that had to be met before entry would be possible, however this was watered down drastically for political purposes and currencies that should not have been allowed into the Euro Zone were let in (on the assumption of continual growth would solve the problems some time in the wooly future) that dilution of the rules has truly come home to roost now

But Farangue is no angel, he has a history of throwing his toys out of the cot and resigning (Tories and UKIP) and he was also came under critisism during his time as a Euro MP of pocketing over 2 million in "expenses"
    • Like Like x 1
  3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Ace speech and hope it gets a wide circulation. Thank you for bringing it to us.

None of the other parties can be trusted with Defence anyway.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Watched this the other day.
    I do believe he will pull more and more of the votes from people who will never vote labour again and who will never vote conservative.
    I can see the lib dems trounced hard in the next General election and the protest vote giving UKIP a real foothold.

As for can he be trusted with de fence, not to worry we have lots of Eastern European friends in Britain who can fix de fence cheaply if it breaks.

Ill get me coat ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  5. of pocketing over 2 million in "expenses ........

Who told you that ? Jim down the pub ?
    Substantial evidence please or I call Bullshit.
  6. He admitted it, although said they were to pay and support his staff. It was still about twice the average claim. See the Wiki extract below;

In May 2009, The Guardian reported that Farage had said in a speech to the Foreign Press Association that over ten years as a Member of the European Parliament he received £2 million of taxpayers' money in staff, travel, and other expenses on top of his £64,000 a year salary.[37]

A former MP Denis MacShane, previously a Labour Minister for Europe, said that this showed that Farage was "happy to line his pockets with gold". Farage called this a "misrepresentation",[38] claiming that the money had been used to promote UKIP's message and staff salaries, not his own salary, but he welcomed the focus on the issue of MEP expenses, claiming that "[o]ver a five year term each and every one of Britain's 78 MEPs gets about £1 million. It is used to employ administrative staff, run their offices and to travel back and forth between their home, Brussels and Strasbourg."
  7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

UKIP are entering a transition period. They can expect to be the recipients of a substantial protest vote at the local elections on May 2nd and in the European elections next year. They can expect a decent number of councillors and an increase in the number of MEPs. The question will be whether they can make the transition from being a fringe party to one seen as a serious contender for the main opposition in 10 years time.

To do that they need a decent manifesto, some heavyweight politicians, some decent up and coming candidates and for Farage to develop some gravitas.

If they manage that they may push the Limp Dems into 4th place at the next election and be the main opposition at the one following. If they don't mature as a party, they'll stay on the fringes of politics.

• Like Like x 4
  8. To be fair, all EU expenses are paid without regard to whether they have been spent or not, MEP's do not claim them.

This charge can be laid at the door of every MEP.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks Psychobabble - that clears it up.
    Over the same period as 78 other British MEPs he received the same expenses to run his staff - not line his pockets was insinuated.

I do not have a UKIP axe to grind but everything I hear from them makes a whole pile more sense than the shit we've heard from our "leaders" for a decade or so.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. daz

daz LE

You've got to laugh at any article that starts with:
    The fact that his Q&A was recorded openly, rather than being "discreetly taped" behind closed doors as the uncorrected article suggested, would indicate a rather different meeting to the one portrayed - In fact, he seemed to have been rather upfront as to the extent of the expenses received from the EU, Could it be a lefty paper was trying to spin the story to their own ends? ;)
    • Like Like x 3
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

If he has been milking the EU cow to feed his anti-EU party, that's absolutely delightful. Well done him.
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Could be interesting if they ended up in 2015 holding the balance of power ....
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1