UKBA TO SPEND 2.5m on new uniforms

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ashford_old_school, Apr 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The UK Border Agency, whose decision to slash staff has led to huge immigration queues, has decided to issue staff with a new uniform which unions estimate will cost £2.5 million.

Those immigration officers who survive the cull are expected to be in the new-look uniform by the end of the current financial year.

Under current Government plans the number of officers employed at airports as part of the Border Force will fall from 8,500 to around 5,000 by 2015.

The decision to press ahead with the third uniform or branding change in three years astonished the aviation industry which has been incensed at lengthy delays
  2. Putting these "civil servants" into uniform in the first place was to con the public that they were some sort of "law enforcement" border guard force like in the US/Europe. They're not police and are still useless at their job.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Oh dear.

I thought they were going to come unstuck the first time I saw them hanging around London train stations in body armour with batons/handcuffs.

I don't see how yet more money on a new uniform is going to either increase morale or effectiveness.
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Presumably the contract has been outsourced to some factory overseas.
  5. It is a collossal waste of cash but necessitated by two things: (i) the fact that neither of the old uniforms had an adequate replacement policy/contract which meant that staff had to wear them out until they fell apart and (ii) with the Border Force having moved out of UKBA but still branded as such, a newly-branded uniform was required to reflect the change in status. The new uniform, which I cannot post pictures of here, looks like something out of central casting for members of the SS. On a different note, both BAA and the airlines (espcially BA) are in a large measure to blame for the queues at the Border Controls - if they managed their slots and flight timetables more efficiently then the queues woud not build up in the first place.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. You saw a Local Immigration Team (LIT) - they frequently conduct embarks controls at Gatwick. The LITs are what replaced the old Enforcement Teams.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Typical "residual costing" which never gets factored in by the grown-ups when they want to change something; the military being particularly guilty of this.
  8. 2+clowns.jpg

Hello Sir, please can you put your bag up on here for a search. Honk Honk!
    • Like Like x 5
  9. There you go, corrected that for you at no extra cost ;-)
  11. Be nice if they added some customer services training in with the new Uniform. The lot glaring at me at the airport the other day looked liked they were really enjoying their 'soon not to exist' jobs...
  12. And anytime it's likely to get a bit "tasty" they ask for for Police to be present, because they are civil servants at the end of the day, and chasing people/rolling round on the floor with someone who will do almost anything to get away, isn't really "their thing"
  13. Thats what the SS inspired look covers :)
    Nobody expects good customer service from Nazis
    Efficent yes

Ah I see your point :(
  14. Yes, this is all very well, but will it be "down and out" or "up and in" ???
    • Like Like x 2
  15. I'm not sure the Army have any credibility in this debate; UKBA (or whatever they're called this week) get new uniforms and they will have them fully rolled out within a year...the Army get a new uniform and take waaay longer than a year to roll them out, while continuously arguing about how to wear it.