UKBA TO SPEND 2.5m on new uniforms

The UK Border Agency, whose decision to slash staff has led to huge immigration queues, has decided to issue staff with a new uniform which unions estimate will cost £2.5 million.

Those immigration officers who survive the cull are expected to be in the new-look uniform by the end of the current financial year.

Under current Government plans the number of officers employed at airports as part of the Border Force will fall from 8,500 to around 5,000 by 2015.

The decision to press ahead with the third uniform or branding change in three years astonished the aviation industry which has been incensed at lengthy delays

Putting these "civil servants" into uniform in the first place was to con the public that they were some sort of "law enforcement" border guard force like in the US/Europe. They're not police and are still useless at their job.

Oh dear.

I thought they were going to come unstuck the first time I saw them hanging around London train stations in body armour with batons/handcuffs.

I don't see how yet more money on a new uniform is going to either increase morale or effectiveness.

Presumably the contract has been outsourced to some factory overseas.

The UK Border Agency, whose decision to slash staff has led to huge immigration queues, has decided to issue staff with a new uniform which unions estimate will cost £2.5 million.

Those immigration officers who survive the cull are expected to be in the new-look uniform by the end of the current financial year.

Under current Government plans the number of officers employed at airports as part of the Border Force will fall from 8,500 to around 5,000 by 2015.

The decision to press ahead with the third uniform or branding change in three years astonished the aviation industry which has been incensed at lengthy delays
It is a collossal waste of cash but necessitated by two things: (i) the fact that neither of the old uniforms had an adequate replacement policy/contract which meant that staff had to wear them out until they fell apart and (ii) with the Border Force having moved out of UKBA but still branded as such, a newly-branded uniform was required to reflect the change in status. The new uniform, which I cannot post pictures of here, looks like something out of central casting for members of the SS. On a different note, both BAA and the airlines (espcially BA) are in a large measure to blame for the queues at the Border Controls - if they managed their slots and flight timetables more efficiently then the queues woud not build up in the first place.

Oh dear.

I thought they were going to come unstuck the first time I saw them hanging around London train stations in body armour with batons/handcuffs.

I don't see how yet more money on a new uniform is going to either increase morale or effectiveness.
You saw a Local Immigration Team (LIT) - they frequently conduct embarks controls at Gatwick. The LITs are what replaced the old Enforcement Teams.

Typical "residual costing" which never gets factored in by the grown-ups when they want to change something; the military being particularly guilty of this.

2+clowns.jpg

Hello Sir, please can you put your bag up on here for a search. Honk Honk!

The new uniform, which I cannot post pictures of here, looks like something out of central casting for members of the SS. /QUOTE]
Vinally something for uniform fetishes to get excited about:)

If your going to put civil servants in uniform you might as well copy the masters (race)
"your nothing but a jumped up nazi"
"thankyou sir that was the look we were going for :)"

Be nice if they added some customer services training in with the new Uniform. The lot glaring at me at the airport the other day looked liked they were really enjoying their 'soon not to exist' jobs...

Oh dear.

And anytime it's likely to get a bit "tasty" they ask for for Police to be present, because they are civil servants at the end of the day, and chasing people/rolling round on the floor with someone who will do almost anything to get away, isn't really "their thing"

Thats what the SS inspired look covers :)
Nobody expects good customer service from Nazis
Efficent yes

Ah I see your point :(

I'm not sure the Army have any credibility in this debate; UKBA (or whatever they're called this week) get new uniforms and they will have them fully rolled out within a year...the Army get a new uniform and take waaay longer than a year to roll them out, while continuously arguing about how to wear it.

erm, MTP isn't an Army thing, it's an MOD thing being rolled out across @ 165k people plus cadets etc etc compared to 8500. Also, ARRSE isn't the Army :)

erm, MTP isn't an Army thing, it's an MOD thing being rolled out across @ 165k people plus cadets etc etc compared to 8500. Also, ARRSE isn't the Army :)
8500 reducing to about 5000, should leave some spares for exchanges. Is the new gear for the UKBA or the UKBF (or both)?

Be nice if they added some customer services training in with the new Uniform. The lot glaring at me at the airport the other day looked liked they were really enjoying their 'soon not to exist' jobs...
I've always found UKBA staff very courteous if I am honest. I've never queued more than 2 or 3 minutes and had no hassle.

But then I am generally travelling with a wife and child, don't gob off, don't have a racial chip on my shoulder, don't have to waste time arguing about why my Mrs should not have to lift her veil, don't make loud huffing noises just because someone wants to check I am who I say I am, don't try to bullshit anyone, aren't pissed or spaced out, aren't up my own arse or snobby about people doing their job and I can speak English.

I know she was Heer but do the SS uniforms include stockings like Helga's?

I edited to reflect that! (although MTP isn't a uniform, it's the pattern - it's PCS ;) )

My point is, yes we're a big organisation but we also have massive support organisations behind us and we STILL can't get it right!

8500 reducing to about 5000, should leave some spares for exchanges. Is the new gear for the UKBA or the UKBF (or both)?
It will have to be for both - there are no replacement stocks of the old UKBA uniform left; there was an emergency issue of white shirts without velcro for attaching branding and also there was a trial of shirts with fixed branding, which looked like something from Toys R Us. The new Director General of Border Force wants there to be a more professional police style look so whether or not the new uniform will survive contact with his in-tray remains to be seen.