UKBA to be Split into Two

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Marc_St_Hilaire, Feb 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, no wonder I got in so easily on my U.S. passport. ;P

p.s: I wish the IRIS scanners at LHR were operational more times, used to be so convenient. They're up only a couple of times now. Also, looks like they will be phasing them out after the Olympics, since they closed down all the enrollment/ renewal offices. Mine should be valid for another 6 months or so.

2. UKBA not IBA..Phew! For a second there my eyes and brain stopped talking to one another and I thought we were in for another Jim Shortt thread...

3. Will be very interesting to see what they do next. The whole UKBA merger of Customs and Immigration was botched: too fast, too cheap, no clear goals, staff alienated, etc. etc.

Whatever they do will cost money. Will they be prepared to invest or is it the next round of smoke and mirrors?

4. The IRIS scanners should be a lesson to them, £9 million down the pan. If they are relying on new technology to solve their problems they really should have a re-think. It just doesn't work as well as the company salesmen tell you. Funny that!

5. Well, to be honest, it was more about speeding up the process for frequent travelers than solving their existing issues. The thing is, they kind of did it in a half-assed way, were not really committed to it in the long term. I travel a lot, since I am not an EU national, it makes a big difference to me. (Usually) With IRIS operational, it takes me only about 10-15mins to get into the country, if I go through the normal non-EU routes, it can take anywhere from 30-60mins (sometimes even longer) to get in.

I wish there was something like the U.S. Global Entry program for frequent flyers. I wouldn't even mind enrolling in it, if the price is reasonable. I have a colleague from Europe who uses it, he gets charged about $120/yr for the enrollment fee. And he says it's completely worth it.

6. Wonder how much the new logos/badges will cost?

• Like Like x 1
  7. And only now being reported and figures beginning to appear in this display of stupidity. UKBA seems to have done a lot of potential damage. Not least, to terrorism measures.
    Anyone wishing us harm or sneaking through the oh so tough security measures at UK plc , must be chuffed that an agency paid to prevent illegal entry turns out to be their best friends.

No surprises, it's all been logged on here and elsewhere for years. Blind eyes turned at the borders, "runners" let go, and illegals welcomed by local authorities, housed and benefits paid PDQ.

This is a country which is supposedly spending £25 billion squid on the London Olympics, some of which will go towards protecting us from illegals, nutters and extremists.

Government and opposition blaming each other in the most ridiculous and shameful farcical failure of recent years, and another indictment on useless agencies.

Dumping missing cases, "losing track of a population of asylum seekers and migrants equivalent to the size of Cambridge".

8. I was talking to someone in NAM last week and asked her how they would cope with the job losses and still carry out their task; they have been told that a new computer system will cover for lack of people. Funnily enough they were told the same thing with the last system and guess what?