UK unveils Taranis stealth combat demonstrator

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Jul 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is it?

2. A fully autonomous UCAV… no need for ground links, just tell it what you want it to go kill and turn it loose.

This is a generation beyond the X-45, fully autonomous operation is the holy grail - We've cracked it, the Yanks haven't.
    It's also intended to be able to self defend itself against aircraft, a huge leap forward if we've pulled this off. UCAV's are very vulnerable as is to fighters, but this thing may be a real game changer.

The other VERY important fact about Taranis is it's 100% British tech so we can sell the thing abroad unlike much of our kit that need the approval of the Yanks because it has some US content.

3. It'd better have ground links. What would you do if you had to recall it? Might as well send a missile.

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Done a bit earlier today, I stuck some links up for more info; the autonomous control software is ingenious. We are definately ahead of the curve with this baby.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/137578-bae-unveil-%A3142million-uav.html

Let's hope the RAF and politicos have the balls to follow this one through, we could have a world beater on our hands. :cool:

5. Of course you can still talk to it, but unlike current UCAVS, you don't have to hold it's hand with a ground station as it does it's thing. Massive technical leap forward.

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

we had a world beater with TSR2 and we fcuked it up. what makes you think this will be any different?

7. Won't be long before they start turning the screws on us until they've 'cracked it'.

Another Ariel or TSR2.

8. Possibly, but we still haven't forgiven them for stiffing us over the source code for the F-35.

The fact that we're trumpeting it's 100% UK tech is very insteresting… IMO, we're saying to the cousins, '**** you, we don't need you anyways'

9. rampant

Wouldn't be surprised if they did though, however it is fantastic to see us well ahead of everybodyelse in this particular field, just goes to show we still have the brains and skill whatever the naysayers...well say.

Wonder if they would be any good off carriers - drone cruisers anyone?

BAE Systems' stealth ship concept to operate unmanned systems

:cool:

10. The optimist in me hopes that we do manage to keep saying '**** you' in Taranis-fashion, and then some. The cynic in me, however, reckons that the hand of patronage may yet be giving us the finger . . . but everything eventually comes to an end.

11. There is an intention to field UCAVS from the new carriers in the medium term.

12. Errrrr - this is a 'demonstrator' which will fly for the first time next year. Parts of my psyche have been scarred by manufacturer's demonstrators of advanced concepts which were brilliant in the lab but less useful in the more unforgiving environment of the the 'real world'. Call me a bluff old traditionlest if you will, but my gusset will only be moistened when 633 Sqn (Taranis) receives it's Royal Standard.

C_C

13. rampant

Most of the technology has already been proven on the Raven and Corax programs, so they aren't flying blind into this. Though I can understand your scepticism.

14. Does anyone else think we're turning into cylons?

Attached Files: