UK Troops to saty in Iraq - Blair

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pasty Boy, Jun 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Further to Rumsfeld's comments jsut seen this from the MOD Oracle:

Prime Minister Tony Blair has said he could not be sure how long it would take to defeat the insurgency in Iraq.
    But he pledged that British troops would remain in the country until the job of restoring peace had been completed.
    The next year would be "decisive" in showing whether the Iraqi political process and homegrown security forces could succeed in halting the campaign of violence, he suggested.
    Mr Blair was speaking after US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld suggested that it could be as many as 12 years before the insurgency ends.
    Speaking at his monthly press conference at 10 Downing Street, the PM said: "We are day by day building the capability of the Iraqi forces and that capability, in the end, is what will defeat the insurgents.
    "It will be a combination of the political process working and the insurgency being taken on, not by the multi-national forces but by Iraqi security forces, that will defeat it.
    "When that will happen - I can't be sure exactly when that will happen. What I can be sure of is that we will stay until the job is properly done. If the political process works, as I believe it will, and the Iraqi forces' capability continues to be build up as it is being at the moment, then I think the insurgency will be defeated.
    "Whether there are people that carry on after that in some way or other, I don't know, but it is the next year, in my view, that's absolutely decisive in this."
    Mr Blair defended contacts by the Americans with some Iraqi insurgents, confirmed by Mr Rumsfeld at the weekend. "Throughout the entirety of this we have been engaged, perfectly properly, in trying to pull away some parts of the insurgency and lock them into the political process," he said.
    "It's our job politically to pull as many people into the political process. That is an engagement not just by the Iraqi government, but by the Americans, ourselves, others. Everybody. We are not compromising our position with terrorism or any of the rest of it. We are simply trying, perfectly sensibly, to pull as many people into the democratic fold as possible."

As if we didn't know this already!

Maybe Tony will give some support, money, equipment, etc? Oh look that's a pig doing loop-the-loops outside of my window
  2. Why doesn't he send his wretched child to Iraq instead of sending him to spend his days fellating an American politican?

If it is good enough for Harry, it is surely good enough for little Euan.
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Add this to the pot, and stir:

1,000 UK troops on Kosovo standby
    By Robert Fox in Pristina
    26 June 2005

Britain is drawing up contingency plans to send up to 1,000 extra British troops and advisers to Kosovo as a crisis looms over the Balkan province's future

Full story:

I think the barrel is wearing thin after all the scrapings...

Summer Camp anyone? And wasn't Kosovo such a success, too - we saved all the poor, innocent ethnic Albanains from the nasty Serbs, yet are they grateful?
  4. Of course the Albanians are grateful - they come over here in order to share their knowledge of organised crime, prostitution, people/drug trafficing, etc.
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes, and that's one time where the Septics didn't want to get involved, but mr Bliar persuaded them, knobber that he is. He was very proud of the fact, too.

Taken in by crafty Gyppos, good and proper :) They set up some very good propoganda, that's for sure.

Tarmac your drive, sir, oh, and liberate our Country, please?
  6. Fair enough points, except as u know OldSnowy, K-Albanians are not Gyppos and most of them would be horrified to be taken for gypsies or Roma.
  7. Like we care......
  8. Good point well made fat blerk
  9. "Why doesn't he send his wretched child to Iraq instead of sending him to spend his days fellating an American politican?

If it is good enough for Harry, it is surely good enough for little Euan".

Well said mate.
  10. Actually, I think the Gypos would be more horrified! Close call, though.
  11. So that's 8,500 to Afghanistan, no pull out from Iraq (wasn't that how we were going to find the men for Afghanistan?) and 1,000 to Kosovo. Where the hell are all the soldiers coming from? Is there some secret stash that no-one's told us about? Have all the regiments closed down in the 1990s really been in cryogenic storage for the last 15 years?
  12. Skiplickers the lot of 'em!
  13. Ten more years of Iraq and a never ending Ganistan, plenty of work ta keep the troops employed, eh just wait till paddy decides he's had enough waiting for the Brits to give back the narf.