UK troops stretched to limit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gas Gas Gas, Apr 12, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC News website:

"The British armed forces are stretched to their limit, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon has said.

"I recognise that it's my responsibility that we do not ask more of our servicemen and women than they can reasonably manage - I set that out very clearly in the House of Commons.

Mr Hoon was being quizzed about the UK's role abroad

"Obviously we are at the limits of our commitments and I recognise that," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "

Has anybody told President Bliar?
  2. You think he'll care? All the while theres a single bloke not being shot at, Blair will insist we've got troops to spare. He's certainly used to all services being overstretched, the NHS, schools, the police, well everyone really. Our best chance is to convince the other NATO / European countries to pull their weight and deploy more than a token force, I doubt the French really need two regiments guarding their vineyards :).
  3. ""I doubt the French really need two regiments guarding their vineyards""

LOL  :D
  4. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

"I doubt the French really need two regiments guarding their vineyards"

Seeing as how most of their wine is a) awful and b) destined for an EU wine lake perhaps this might be a suitably unchallenging first mission for Generalissimo Blair's new European Rapid Reaction Force?   :)
  5. we cant be that over stretched, ive only been deployed 3 times in the last 12 months
  6. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

D'you know I quite overlooked that - I've only been in an operational theatre in 98, 99, 00, 01, 02 and 03; I must have some more stretch packed away somewhere! :wink:

A sincere thank you to Mr Blair for making me realise just how elastic I can be; I don't think that men have been quite so stretched since the inquisition gave up the rack.
  7. At least with rack you stayed in one place.
  8. As I've had my head stuck in the books of late I thought I'd share a couple of academic references with regarding stretch....

Stretch is:

a) the gap between an organisation's resources and aspirations (Hamel & Prahalad)

b) an attribute of an organisation's context that enhances people's expectations of themselves and of the company. The boldness to strive for ambtious goals rather than settling for the safety of achieveable targets (Ghoshal & Bartlett)

9. Class post Shoota!! :lol: