• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

UK troops on standby over Kosovo

Press association said:
British troops are on standby to fly to Kosovo in the event of violence breaking out following the province's expected declaration of independence on Sunday.

About 600 members of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards will be sent to the new state if widespread civil unrest follows its split from neighbouring Serbia.

The soldiers make up the current Nato Response Force which is tasked with assisting troops already deployed in Kosovo if need be.

The Nato-led Kosovo Force (Kfor) currently has about 15,000 personnel in place as part of its peacekeeping efforts in the region.

But if numbers on the ground are deemed to be insufficient in the case of ethnic violence recurring, extra troops will be moved in.

Nato's Response Force rotates its host country every six months, with the UK having taken over the post on January 1.

As such, it will fall upon the 1st Battalion Welsh Guard to go to Kosovo if the need arises.

Equipment including troop carriers and other armoured vehicles have also been earmarked for deployment.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "The UK continues to meet its commitments to the Nato Pan-Balkans quick reaction force alongside our Nato partners.

"This is in case Nato requires a force with extra flexibility to deter or combat outbreaks of violence."
We're going to be right in it if that kicks off again - is there any strategic reserve left?

600 Welsh Guards?! I'm fcuking amazed we have that many soldiers left! 8O

All we need now is for NI to kick off again and for the Iranians/Isralies/Septics to start chucking buckets of instant sunshine at each other. :roll:

What's the old Chinese curse? "May you live in Interesting Times..." :twisted:

EX_STAB said:
We're going to be right in it if that kicks off again - is there any strategic reserve left?
indeed with the only strategic reserve that liabour have left us, after salami slicing to the bone!

Is a half built bicycle 'under some procurement PFI contract or other' two fast track recruits and a broom handle. note the broom handle will be supplied using JIT procurement so ensure that it was indented for 3 month ago!!

so nothing to fear really :x

edited for emperor mong spellings

I'm pretty new on the subject of politics in the Balkans and what we done in Bosnia so i can quite safely say I know sweet FA on the subject. I'm just wondering what would be the British Army's role in Kosovo if we were to be deployed?

Cheers

jarrod248 said:
EX_STAB said:
Press association said:
British troops are on standby to fly to Kosovo in the event of violence breaking out following the province's expected declaration of independence on Sunday.

About 600 members of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards will be sent to the new state if widespread civil unrest follows its split from neighbouring Serbia.

The soldiers make up the current Nato Response Force which is tasked with assisting troops already deployed in Kosovo if need be.

The Nato-led Kosovo Force (Kfor) currently has about 15,000 personnel in place as part of its peacekeeping efforts in the region.

But if numbers on the ground are deemed to be insufficient in the case of ethnic violence recurring, extra troops will be moved in.

Nato's Response Force rotates its host country every six months, with the UK having taken over the post on January 1.

As such, it will fall upon the 1st Battalion Welsh Guard to go to Kosovo if the need arises.

Equipment including troop carriers and other armoured vehicles have also been earmarked for deployment.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "The UK continues to meet its commitments to the Nato Pan-Balkans quick reaction force alongside our Nato partners.

"This is in case Nato requires a force with extra flexibility to deter or combat outbreaks of violence."
Ex_stab it looks like me and you lad, we'd better do a few sit ups and take a gentle jog.
How did it go now 'The position and hold must be .....'
Where did I put my webbing?
I'll look out for the Brown Envelope in the mail... :roll:

I'd like to know where all the protective equipment to keep our lads safe in Kosova will be coming from.Do we have DPM Osprey armour in anything other than Desert? 8) To many of our lads have been killed through lack of decent body armour{& i don't call Osprey decent but it gives more coverage to vital areas}

jarrod248 said:
EX_STAB said:
Press association said:

Ex_stab it looks like me and you lad, we'd better do a few sit ups and take a gentle jog.
How did it go now 'The position and hold must be .....'
Where did I put my webbing?
Oh well, at least I've got some decent gear and weaponry to bring along. Really must get back on the Phys.

Can we take your all terrain passion wagon? Might as well have a comfy billet when we get there!

jarrod248 said:
Ex_Stab yes of course excellent idea. We may as well be comfy. It's going to have rather large fridge/freezer, air-con, generator, leather upholstery and of course satelite TV.
Wonder if they'll let me have it's MOD registration plates back would save me the MOT hassle. I was planning an extended holiday next year and wondering how to get leave from work.
Will they let us have our SLR's back?
I can bring some Lee Enfields and a few thousand rounds- at least we won't have to worry about MoD failing to supply weapons and ammunition.

jarrod248 said:
EX_STAB said:
jarrod248 said:
Ex_Stab yes of course excellent idea. We may as well be comfy. It's going to have rather large fridge/freezer, air-con, generator, leather upholstery and of course satelite TV.
Wonder if they'll let me have it's MOD registration plates back would save me the MOT hassle. I was planning an extended holiday next year and wondering how to get leave from work.
I can bring some Lee Enfields and a few thousand rounds- at least we won't have to worry about MoD failing to supply weapons and ammunition.
Lee Enfields will be fine. I've still two cases of compo sausages left, I'll buy a sack of spuds and some beer and I'll pick you up at side of M1. Truck needs running in anyway. Do I need a beret or will my flat cap do?
Flat cap would be a bad idea - wouldn't want to get mistaken for Francs Tireurs. We can drop in at Silvermans in Mile End on the way for any other kit. What regiment will we be?

Do I need to get my 58 pattern out of my green kit bag, I have some blanco left, should anybody wish to borrow it, Ive got me button stick out and looking for me puttees, failing that Ill get my old mans gaters ready.

jarrod248 said:
EX_STAB said:
jarrod248 said:
Lee Enfields will be fine. I've still two cases of compo sausages left, I'll buy a sack of spuds and some beer and I'll pick you up at side of M1. Truck needs running in anyway. Do I need a beret or will my flat cap do?
EX_STAB said:
jarrod248 said:
EX_STAB said:
jarrod248 said:
Flat cap would be a bad idea - wouldn't want to get mistaken for Francs Tireurs. We can drop in at Silvermans in Mile End on the way for any other kit. What regiment will we be?
This is a marvellous conversation.

Please don’t stop !

Charging wheelchair as we speak , count me in...
I can muster an Ex para ,Ex Cheshire and an ACC .

WW

wheelchairwarrier said:
Charging wheelchair as we speak , count me in...
I can muster an Ex para ,Ex Cheshire and an ACC .

WW
Bloody hell - I hadn't been expecting a mechanised element to the force!
Glad to have you join us. With the ACC along we'll be better fed than the regulars!

I'm free after I graduate this Summer - I was on the first Op Agricola, so it would be good to get out there again.

I'd need a haircut, and to remove a lip piercing and maybe lose a bit more weight, start ironing clothes again etc, but I'm sure I'd be fine.

I've been playing COD4 & Gears of War a lot lately, too (using the headset - being an ex- RE sig) - so trade fade shouldn't be a problem either.

I've also done some work as a Health Care Assistant these past few years, so I could also act as some sort of WW mech :D

A_L

Press association said:
Which is about a 4% increase of this:

Press association said:
Now, I've no wish to cast aspersions about the Welsh Guards, but can they really make a difference? Are the other NATO troops of no use whatsoever?

msr

Latest Threads