UK troops on deployment in for disappointment this christmas...

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by maguire, Dec 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

...as you wont be getting a visit from ed milliband...

'Ed Miliband is furious at being denied the chance to pay a Christmas visit to our troops in Afghanistan, according to Defence sources.

The Labour leader has been told he must wait until February to make the trip – six months after his victory in the party leadership contest...

...The dispute comes after The Mail on Sunday disclosed how Mr Miliband was angry to be relegated to third place behind Liberal Democrat leader Mr Clegg in the wreath-laying ceremony on Remembrance Sunday.'

Ed Miliband's fury as Christmas visit to troops is vetoed | Mail Online

I do hope you can all get over your dismay at this turn of events...

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You poor, poor buggers. I shall write to my MP and demand that Ed gets a ticket to come and see you on this most important day when you'll be thinking, not of your families, but the importance of the Labour Leader and his message for you.

3. Maybe we should ship out all the MPs, so they can stag on the gate, go on patrol and do the cooking/pan bashing out on the FOBs. That way are boys and girls can put there feet up, phone their loved ones and have a can with their Xmas dinner..... and maybe have some downtime for a few hours........

4. Now that would be a vote winner. In fact I personaly think it shoudl be a legal requirement that MP's spend time alongside the troops during tiems of conflict.

5. What a sad little petulant child. But there is always the hope that he resigns on a point of principle (if he knew what one is). Now we know, if we did not know it already, what our politicians are really worried about.

He should be relegated to the history section ASAP.

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

funny you should say that...

Labour Source: “People Have Made Up Their Mind” - Guy Fawkes' blog

'Guido has called round a few Labour sources after that PMQs. The sentiment seems to be, particularly from those that didn’t vote for Ed Miliband, that “he is as bad as we feared”. Given that the majority of Labour Party members and the parliamentary party didn’t vote for him that is something of problem for the current leader of the Labour Party.'

it appears he's the union's choice and no-one elses...

7. Why is he upset he was placed behind lib dem leader Clegg? The Labour party aren't in power anymore, and are not part of the coalition....

Ergo, to the back you go fella.

8. Personally, I don't think anyone should be eligibly to even stand as an MP until until he/she has served with HM forces.

9. You really would not want some old ranting fool like me as an an MP, besides I have heard the lunches only last 3 or 4 hours.

10. Service guarantees citizenship :D

That said, maybe not armed service, but somesort of service.... even if it is only a few hundred hours pulling shoping trollies out of the canal.

11. Probably because of all the knives out for him within his own party, they think there is a possibility he won't even be leader of the opposition come Christmas. Putting it back to Feb will ensure they will at least know who is in charge of the Labour party by then.
    Any odds on him becoming the shortest reigning Labour leader ever? He has to beat 11 months.

12. Come on you lot. The real story is that Mr Miliband likely has much better things to do with his time this Christmas but has successfully managed to leak this story of his fury in a synical polical move.

13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

do you think? he hardly comes across like he's desperate to make sure everyone on ops is ok and having the best christmas possible.

14. So you think maintaining an illusion that he does give a toss is a bad move?