UK troops in Iraq for years - Straw

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jan 5, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. MSR ,

I don't think any of us are really surprised that we would be there for years. What I am surprised at, is Straw's reluctance to admit that we are establishing a permanent garrison East of Suez for the first time since the 70's.

Personally , I have no doubt Iraq is a permanent station.
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Just the time for defence cuts, then.

The BBC are quoting Jack Straw as saying that 'Afghanistan is the model for this kind of duty'. That'll be where the Brits were known as the Flintstones because of their crap living conditions, which were a direct result of MoD penny-pinching.

So, no change there.
  4. Yep, no surprise here at all , good point Viro , the bean counters have to ensure that the moral is first and foremost and that the "boys" and "girls" are well looked after as this is indeed going to be a long term commitment.
  5. Best laugh i've had all day.....

Am really looking forward to seeing how this all works with any cuts that are going to be impossed in the near future...
  6. so hoon says well be out in a few years
    Straw says we'll be there for years
    Blair says we'll be out by July

So this is Joined up Government??????
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

If you want to see how long we will be in Iraq- get over to Shaibah and see the Corimec City they are building. Thats a 'Bosnia' in the making!
  8. speaking of Bosnia any sign of us extracating ourselves from there?
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Or Kosovo, Sierra Leone or Afghanistan...
  10. Only 22 troops in Sierra Leone apparenty, and I guess the sole representative in Liberia is feeling well stretched :)