UK troops in huge turbine mission

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bensonby, Sep 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7593901.stm

sounds like a mammoth effort, well done!

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Absolutely staggering!

Indeed, a mahoosive operation, and completely succesful, with the added bonus of lots of insurgents getting wiped for no losses on our side.

3. Outstanding hearts and minds work, have to make sure the things well defended now, Terry will be doing his utmost to sabotage it in someway then blame the failure on the 'infidels'.

4. Cow

Cow LE

Impressive work done by all. Just goes to show that what ever your role within the forces, you can deploy into the field outside of a nice protected HQ to do your job. Convoy jobs aren't always boring it would seem!

5. Apparently it was 200 odd insurgents killed compared to one engineer wounded (not sure if he was hurt through enemy fire or an accident of some sort) but pretty impressive all round.

Good work to all involved. :)

6. More juice coming out of that Dam can only be good for keeping the locals on side, now we just need to lay underground powerlines to prevent sabotage

7. From the BBC report it seems to have been a fantastic joint effort across multiple British Army units with RAF and international forces' assistance too. Big claps to all involved - a very impressive feat - not only for moving the bloody thing but for the effective co-operation!

8. Incredible effort, but worried it won't be enough. Lads and laddesses on the ground must be beyond criticism though.

Most of the electricity in that area will be controlled by the Taleban and fund them. There aren't enough boots on the ground to hold the area, nor secure the supply route for future use.

So basically an amazing effort that's come off, but because no-one will commit properly and pay for it it's not going to have the impact it really should.

Wishing a speedy recovery to the quoted one injured soldier.

9. Excellent stuff, no question. Continued proof that we can cut it better than anyone else, with the right motives. However, it isn't as easy as it looks. I remember when I was in Sudan an aeon ago that the Muslims had a mosque built in Juba in the Christian heartland of the civil war. Used local labour and paid well. 2 days after the job was finished it was bombed to rubble. Getting the turbines there is one thing, protecting the project into the indefinite future is another, much more expensive and riskier prospect.

10. Well, its going to be two years before the dam is ready to start producing electricity so those with red tabs will have plenty of time to plan a decent strategy to get that 'leccy to the locals.

Lets hope that they get it right.

11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Good drill's by all concerned!

12. I totally agree Thunderer. When you filter the whole lot down to basics though, one comes up with the basic Afghan prob....which is no-one has successfully subdued or organised them in living memory or longer, far longer. Let them grow their poppies and supply the pharmaceutical industry, not to mention the small handful of junkies around the world ( compared to skunk users and those who like lab-prepared drugs like meth) let them murder each other ruthlessly to establish chains of control. Let them get on with it. It really is not our problem. To seal it, visa restrictions that NO Afghans enter the UK, and those already in get out. End of story. Nothing racist about that - go off and do your own thing in your own place, nice to meet you and bye bye. How much, and I'm not being remotely serious here, Afghan government money, ie the public pocket, has, or will ever be, used to solve inner city prroblems in the UK????

13. Excellent effort all round, hearts and minds, no fatalities to us, lots for Terry who, I would imagine, wouldn't want to see this project work.

14. Fantastic effort, was chuffed to bits to see it on BBC today! Finally something massive that joe public can see!

15. I don't subscribe to that at all Scruffs - I agree entirely with raising the living standards of those in AFG. Further, if we relinquish Afghanistan to the Taliban then we will be allowing them to go back to giving a base to Al Q