UK troop deaths "could rise markedly"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Alsacien, Jan 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

2. Well. As long as we help the poor old Afghans and help the headshed of other corrupt countries line their pockets, surely it is worth us dying for. Isn't it? We will lose more soldiers this year then we did last year that's for sure. Vallon will soon become virtually useless when nearly all IED's will have no metal content and the battery packs are laid metres away from the device itself. I'm also sure that in the not too distant future the Taliban will get their hands on chemical or biological weapons and SAMs.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

My italics. I think that last bit depends heavily on how much the Septics piss off the Persians. I'm pretty sure we haven't even seen many EFP in Afghanistan (yet).

4. Unwise to discuss merits of would-be IED planters' tactics here, let alone efficacy of countermeasures. They aren't all Taliban, you know.

5. Well they've not done well with Mesopotamia, but its good to see they've reached an equliberum with 'Cathay' over this problem and brought the ruler of 'Tripolitania and Cyrenaica' back into line...however us 'Brits' have constant problems with the President of 'Southern Rhodesia' and the 'Gauls' as always are not to be trusted..but thankfully 'German east Africa' is peacefull.. 8) )

6. Indeed,no doubt Hibernia will kick off again if we aint careful.

7. Seconded..Kelt Kunts..!!..where I am on the turbulent border of Devon/Kernow ..we struggle to keep them down..small 'dark' people with big 'chips'..'in all areas'.. :D

8. There are plenty of SAMs in country already, but are not being used extensivly for a few reasons.

9. (My bold)..cue 'Jaws' theme...'why'..??..

10. The reasons being?
    I would doubt that Terry have "plenty" of working SAMs. If they did then they would of surely brought a few of our Heli's down by now.

11. Give your head a wobble mastermind. There are a few SAMs in theatre but many of them are not working or are in the hands of mongs who haven't a clue of how to use them or get them working but are loathe to give them up to other Taliban factions as they are a sign of power. If there were plenty they'd be used on a regular basis.

12. Taliban health and safety rep won't allow them to use them without filling out a risk assessment questionnaire. They should never have let them do that RAF exchange programme.

13. I do like the way that Sky is focusing on a tiny part of a very significant document, and ignoring much of the wider disucssions.

Given that the paper in question is a thinkpiece looking at the sort of assumptions we need to consider, rather than a policy document stating fact, they do seem to have got the wrong end of the stick.

Wondering whether it was a deliberate leak though?

14. I just read the Sky News page and thought exactly the same. i think that they are just headline grabing here a bit.

15. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

My historical impression is that everywhere we have been, when we announced a pull-out or set an end date, there was a race/contest between the native factions to 'prove' they were the ones that drove us out, by doing the maximum to murder British servicemen who are going to leave anyway. No, I have no stats on this, it's just gut feel from watching or being part in the dismemberment of our Empire. The only happy alternative is when they start terrorising each other instead, as in India (big time) or Mauritius (don't suppose anyone noticed this at home, but there was extreme nastiness on the ground between Muslims and Hindus). Aden was spectacularly nasty right up to the bell, FLOSY vs that other lot both trying to max their bag of Brits.

If I were Karzai I'd wear a VERY heavily starched collar.