UK Transport Crisis?

Ohhhh the shame....

Is it a 16spd ZF (which, if you have anything more than 400 BHP is 12 speeds too many)

It is, they aren't a bad box to be fair but you don't need 16

We're about half manual and half autos on the rigids
The Mercs have an 8 but MAN feel the need for 16
The TGS 480 we've not long bought should get remapped in the next few weeks which will take it to about 570
Looking forward to a play!

It seems odd that there isn't a "use-it-like-a-camper-van" switch available in the cab, so that lights, ventilation, microwave etc. can be used without the main engine running ?? If such a thing isn't present then it should be added by the transport-depot sparky, for morale reasons if nothing else.

I was talking to a shop guy in LIDL yesterday evening about their very depleted shelves.

I assumed the Covid panic buyers had been in but the empty shelves were strange and not like Lockdown 1.

They were well stocked with fruit, veg, meat, fish, eggs, cold meats and bread but virtually empty on toiletries, wine (panic attack), beer, biscuits and some tinned foods.

Matey boy said they were OK for deliveries of fresh produce but not for "stock" items because of a shortage of drivers.

That seemed a bit counter-intuitive to me.

Any suggestions?

Makes sense to concentrate on moving the fresh/perishables if you're short of transport?

giatttt

War Hero
Just a catch up on the thread...

Culina have bought Stobarts other than the airports and some other minor assets but including the warehouses & associated operations. Culina are as bad as Stobarts from my perspective. I can't tell you how I know this as it might well blow my persec.

I used to be a "shunter" BTW. My normal site drive was a Bedford TK with a 1,000 gallon tank on the back and dodgy brakes (the site wagon) and no PAS. But when mine was in for service I used to get a 2,000 gallon Bedford which had working brakes and power steering. I know about liquid sloshing round as the old 1,000 and 2,000 tanks only had a single baffle.

However, if I was in the depot and the boss man wanted a tanker moved then I moved it. Boss man was too bone idle and might have got his suit dirty. Plus he was a wimply little scrote.

TBH, I found the DAF 2300s (6 wheel / 3,000 gallon) and 3300s (8 wheel / 4,000 gallons) we were running a piece of cake to drive [double H box] compared to the Bedfords. Having mirrors the size of a coffee table certainly helped for easy reversing, but I learned to drive on TK furniture vans with a Luton body and tiny mirrors so tankers were a doddle.

We had a few drivers who loved "tramping" and others who hated it. Drivers were on a fixed rate per night so if you chose to kip in the cab you made money. One bloke used to carry a tent and primus stove. There were certainly more places where you could legally park up in those days.
Spent some time working for BP at grangemouth every now and then you got a driver who had run empty from Ullapool or further, filled up got to the end of the long straight and rolled the tank on the tiny roundabout. Deep joy.

Truxx

LE
It seems odd that there isn't a "use-it-like-a-camper-van" switch available in the cab, so that lights, ventilation, microwave etc. can be used without the main engine running ?? If such a thing isn't present then it should be added by the transport-depot sparky, for morale reasons if nothing else.
Relatively easily done, a very good idea. Unlikely to manage the AC as the compressors are normally engine driven, but even that could be overcome

Hmmm, another gadget that could go wrong and stop the lorry in the middle of the M6

D

Deleted 4482

How common is it for things to come to blows - with drivers being treated like shit at RDCs etc?

Does it ever happen that they get told to wind their necks in or the contract / whatever wont be serviced?

Didn't someone mention up thread that various Aldis etc are being told they have to unload by drivers, as opposed to the driver previously been expected to do it...how did that pan out?

I was talking to a shop guy in LIDL yesterday evening about their very depleted shelves.

I assumed the Covid panic buyers had been in but the empty shelves were strange and not like Lockdown 1.

They were well stocked with fruit, veg, meat, fish, eggs, cold meats and bread but virtually empty on toiletries, wine (panic attack), beer, biscuits and some tinned foods.

Matey boy said they were OK for deliveries of fresh produce but not for "stock" items because of a shortage of drivers.

Any suggestions?
It's mid summer and hot, who's cooking much?

Any suggestions?

Switching priorities I would think. Not really my field to be honest

Perishables have a much shorter shelf life, the other bits won't go off.
And nobody wants to be seen to run out of food either.

How common is it for things to come to blows - with drivers being treated like shit at RDCs etc?

Does it ever happen that they get told to wind their necks in or the contract / whatever wont be serviced?

Didn't someone mention up thread that various Aldis etc are being told they have to unload by drivers, as opposed to the driver previously been expected to do it...how did that pan out?

We've had drivers barred from RDC's before. Arguing generally means you are going to sit there all day

I was on the dock next to a veg supplier today. He was on before me.

They started tipping me first, he went a little bit postal with the stores guy.
The lorry after him was quite a pretty young bonde lass driving and I don't think they kept her waiting quite so long....

Hmmm, another gadget that could go wrong and stop the lorry in the middle of the M6

Putting the camper-van gadgets on their own fuse(s), and turning that off during driving would make it even more like the multiple circuits one finds in a camper (based on the b.i.l's van anyway) There is typically a system when the vehicle is running, a system on battery storage (so the engine-starting battery isn't flattened) and a mains voltage system -- all of which are separated. Hot-wiring the thing is not what I was thinking of, honest !

But it was just a thought, to reduce the requirement to sit in a dead cab while unloading.

D

Deleted 4482

Any of you truckers tracked by Masternaught- that has an engine cutoff facility?

Not whilst truck is moving but- once engine off...wont start again.

Door alarms, Maple-q etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:

stuskimac

Old-Salt
Trust me guys most RDC's do not give a monkeys about visiting drivers well being, hold ups, delays or anything else other than there own agenda, Believe me the only approach to take in these places is "wait out" , shouting or kicking off will get you no where, neither will threats or anything else. You just have to keep updating your depot & ask for updates at the RDC desk. let other people fight it out for you. Take a good book or a dvd box set, sit back & relax, your getting paid to do so. The one good thing about the COVID pandemic is drivers can sit in the relative comfort of your own cab (which I always prefered, I like my own company) rather than sit in silence in some drab dreary depressing driver waiting room with if your lucky a vending machine that dispences really crap cofffee. Years of my life that I will never reclaim were spent in these god damm awful places, try to make it comfortable, like the old Army saying "any fool can rough it".

Any of you truckers tracked by Masternaught- that has an engine cutoff facility?

Not whilst truck is moving but- once engine off...wont start again.

Door alarms, Maple-q etc etc

We do
But like all telematics systems they have their limitations
We had a Masternaut tracked van stolen a while back, less than 10 minutes after it was stolen the tracking system was removed and the van never seen again

syrup

LE
Trust me guys most RDC's do not give a monkeys about visiting drivers well being, hold ups, delays or anything else other than there own agenda, Believe me the only approach to take in these places is "wait out" , shouting or kicking off will get you no where, neither will threats or anything else. You just have to keep updating your depot & ask for updates at the RDC desk. let other people fight it out for you. Take a good book or a dvd box set, sit back & relax, your getting paid to do so. The one good thing about the COVID pandemic is drivers can sit in the relative comfort of your own cab (which I always prefered, I like my own company) rather than sit in silence in some drab dreary depressing driver waiting room with if your lucky a vending machine that dispences really crap cofffee. Years of my life that I will never reclaim were spent in these god damm awful places, try to make it comfortable, like the old Army saying "any fool can rough it".

Totally agree wit this

I see it from both sides having been a driver and now a Logistics manager.

There are some serious knobheads out there working in RDC's and driving trucks.

One of my forklift drivers got sacked last week for loading a truck while the driver had the keys in the cab, driver won't be coming back on site either.

We get drivers arguing, kicking off, threatening staff turning up with flip flops on claiming they don't have safety boots etc.

I keep seeing that the way drivers are treated at customers is a major factor I'm not sure how many people know that drivers are as much to blame

2000AD

Old-Salt

I read the Aldi C+E drivers job description a couple of weeks ago. Driver is expected to load and unload at supermrkets. You are expected to have a split of 40% of your total working time driving, the remaining 60% is effectively warehouse/loading.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Interesting thread. For me this is an insight into an industry that I see the effects of every day, but didn't have much of a clue as to how it worked. My thanks to the contributors, some of this has been really interesting and educational.

syrup

LE
I read the Aldi C+E drivers job description a couple of weeks ago. Driver is expected to load and unload at supermrkets. You are expected to have a split of 40% of your total working time driving, the remaining 60% is effectively warehouse/loading.

I would suggest that's about the same for anyone on store delivers
Problem with Aldi is they expect drivers delivering to their RDC's to do the same

You back on a bay
Get the keys to an electric pallet truck (if you can't handle an electric one it's a hand pallet ruck)
Tip your truck into a receiving bay.
Strip all the shrink wrap off and break down any part pallets so there are non e mixed when they check it.

It's chaos because everyone is racing round trying to tip their wagon as fast as possible so you're not waiting for a checker.

oldbaldy

LE
Those running to Felixstowe can look forward to more full laybys:
Rumblings about the closure & lack of HGV facilities on the A14

Latest Threads