UK Transport Crisis?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
No, all above board and with permission from the CoC.
Living proof that ‘anybody can be a driver’….
:wink:

Living proof that ‘anybody can be a driver’….
:wink:

Absolutely, easy job.

It worked out well for me because I ended up doing a lot of work for Hovis, I suppose the squaddie mentality meant I didn’t mind getting a call at 3 in the morning for a job. It was great on a Sunday morning, the factory was about an hours drive away, I could load up, do the deliveries and be back home in just over 4 hours, receiving 16 hours pay.

The biggest pain was completing the tax self assessment.

Military Aid to the Civil Community?

We helped the NHS, why can't the MoD help the Tpt Industry?
Request local RCT(V) . . . RLC(V) . . . Regiments, Squadrons, Units, publicise the opportunities to their volunteers.

In Manchester, most of the bus companies would have found themselves without drivers - not sure what the situation would be now ;) !!

As far as I am aware the military has no capacity for chilled/frozen distribution.

They may be able to provide drivers I suppose

To be honest I think the transport industry is the architect of its own mess on this one
I thought your were (just) short of drivers ?!

Are you saying there is (also) a shortage of "reefers" ?!

I thought your were (just) short of drivers ?!

Are you saying there is (also) a shortage of "reefers" ?!

I'm not short of drivers yet, the industry is but we are ok so far. The danger for us is losing drivers to a price war

Not critically on reefers but as it happens yes there is
I've been shopping for one this week and there aren't many about at the moment.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not short of drivers yet, the industry is but we are ok so far. The danger for us is losing drivers to a price war

Not critically on reefers but as it happens yes there is
I've been shopping for one this week and there aren't many about at the moment.
Is this affecting everyone or just medium and SMEs?

Strange but I'm sure that, I for one, kept saying that foreign workers were being used to maintain low wages to maximise profit...and lo and behold it looks like it's coming to pass. Haven't we got the lowest unemployment rate since the seventies?, how or who is going to pick all that fruit and veg that will be ready in the next few months?...Wondered why Morrisons fruit and veg was very low, is it time for some panic buying yet?

And how does that shite get from the Amazon warehouse to your front door? Unfortunately the likes of Amazon are part of the emerging problem.

One G in wagon. Unless you are 100 years old or it's a Sentinel. Pedant mode off
Judging by the amount of bloody traffic up my road I assume it's DPD vans and not Class 1 HGVs.

I'm a traditionalist.

I think supermarkets need to take a look at what they're selling. Does Lidl really need to be selling inflatable kayaks, angle grinders and unicorn onesies? That shit takes up waggon space, space that could be better utilised. Ergo one waggon full of groceries or two waggons both half full of unwanted shyte? Lidl are an extreme example, but they're all at it. It needs to stop. Want to buy shyte? Amazon. Logistics should be about essential goods... like beer, whisky and arsewipe.

How do you think the Amazon stuff gets to you?