UK Transport Crisis?

Do you have a shirt and tie?
I still have some money from the Army I can use, is it worth me doing a CE

No intention of working for them, I was curious!

If you are wanting steady work with people in very high demand then yes its worth doing.
Traditionally a lot of employers wouldn't take new drivers and demanded a year or two years experience, that has now changed and many will take new passes.

Demand is unlikely to fall and I would anticpate being able to be very chosey on jobs for the next 12 to 24 months
If all else fails you got to the likes of Stobarts for a year or two until you build enough experience to move on somewhere better

oldbaldy

LE
I'll be honest I review applicants on their CV long before they get to interview.
In some cases I google them if I'm unconvinced, one of my applicant last week made the local papers for fighting Police Officers and drunk and disorderly.

I've employed one lorry driver and two van drivers in the last fortnight.
The lorry driver came on recommendation (both ways, he was recommended to us and he was recommended to me)
I need another Class 1 toward the end of the year so we are going to put one of our Class 2 drivers through his test.
Myself and one of my supervisors are Class 1 so if there is a gap between our demand and him passing we'll manage to cover it ourselves. He's a good lad and rather he had the job and the payrise than bring somebody else in.

The van driver I had 14 applicants, most of them ruled out on CV
By the time you've weeded out the taxi drivers and people who've never been in a van or lorry you start to get somewhere.
Drift
Granddaughter's husband is very high up on an IT company, he says HR gets loads of CVs from very unqualified people, like 'you're a chef, why are applying to be a systems engineer'. The answer HR tell him is that they have to prove they have applied for a certain number of jobs to stay on the 'dole'
Drift off

Drift
Granddaughter's husband is very high up on an IT company, he says HR gets loads of CVs from very unqualified people, like 'you're a chef, why are applying to be a systems engineer'. The answer HR tell him is that they have to prove they have applied for a certain number of jobs to stay on the 'dole'
Drift off

Absolutely true

Generally easy to weed out though

Personally I prefer to hire older drivers with a bit of experience
My eldest retires next month at 73 and I've just hired one at 61

We’re in exceptional times for drivers at the moment, but in normal jogging how is newly qualified driver meant to get experience if no company is willing to take him on?

syrup

LE
Long been a problem and one of the reasons why not enough people have taken it up
Rapidly becoming less of an issue though

Also an issue for some of us when we left the forces.

There was / is the myth especially amongst older guys that all you had to do was two laps of the parade ground to get a license.

Saw it again last week when someone suggested using the Army to move good to supermarkets

Comments of badly trained drivers who need two per cab and can only drive in convoy coming out.

Last edited:

2000AD

Old-Salt
Royal mail contacted me today asking for a driver check code. Just over a week for them to respond after doing the online hazard test.
Lets see what transpires

Also an issue for some of us when we left the forces.

There was / is the myth especially amongst older guys that all you had to do was two laps of the parade ground to get a license.

Saw it again last week when someone suggested using the Army to move good to supermarkets

Comments of badly trained drivers who need two per cab and van only drive in convoy coming out.

Commercial driving is not the same as driving in the Army.
Many can and do make the transition but it isn't the same thing

There's a suggestion from DoT that to speed up the flow of new drivers the requirement to pass Cat C (Rigid) before C+E (Artic ) will be dropped.

As a HGV instructor, the thought of someone stepping out of his Ford Focus into a 26 ton Artic with zero intermediate training or experience fills me with fear. The training time will be huge and the accident rate must skyrocket.

I've no idea how the government is going to sort this shitshow out but so far their suggestions have veered from nonsensical to insane. Perhaps they should have got to grips with it when the problem started to surface, and they were warned by all and sundry the the problem was looming, rather than trying desperate measure once the horse had bolted?

There's a suggestion from DoT that to speed up the flow of new drivers the requirement to pass Cat C (Rigid) before C+E (Artic ) will be dropped.

As a HGV instructor, the thought of someone stepping out of his Ford Focus into a 26 ton Artic with zero intermediate training or experience fills me with fear. The training time will be huge and the accident rate must skyrocket.

I've no idea how the government is going to sort this shitshow out but so far their suggestions have veered from nonsensical to insane. Perhaps they should have got to grips with it when the problem started to surface, and they were warned by all and sundry the the problem was looming, rather than trying desperate measure once the horse had bolted?

Out of interest, do you do the training with laden trailers? I’d imagine the handling characteristics would be a bit different.

By 1700 tonight we had sold out of cucumbers, tomatoes and bananas. That might not sound like much, but it equates to at least 60 feet of shelves completely empty.

A senior manager told me that, while the lack of drivers is certainly a major issue, it's not the only one. There are severe problems across the whole supply chain. From the food producers to the depots to the drivers and finally the supermarkets themselves. And he doesn't see it getting better any time soon.

I thought it insane when I turned up to my HGV 3 course with nothing more than a provisional licence for B and HGV and shown directly into a Bedford, instead of 'learning to drive' first as I expected.

It's counter intuitive, but it had many positives.
No change in mindset from driving a car required, being just one example.

What does make a difference in any class of driving is if there's an opportunity to gain experience and on the job training.

As has been mentioned before, there's a difference between passing a test and learning a job.

By 1700 tonight we had sold out of cucumbers, tomatoes and bananas. That might not sound like much, but it equates to at least 60 feet of shelves completely empty.

A senior manager told me that, while the lack of drivers is certainly a major issue, it's not the only one. There are severe problems across the whole supply chain. From the food producers to the depots to the drivers and finally the supermarkets themselves. And he doesn't see it getting better any time soon.

Replen of fresh fruit and veg for Scottish shops could be done on a bicycle given the lack of demand.

Cobham M25 Services, up to 15hrs £27:00, up to 24hrs £30:00. And no discount on food if overnighting. And being on the M25, good luck in getting on there!
My mate who retrained as a coach driver and does a lot of Saga type tours in the summer tells me that WH Smith and M and S both offer her a £5 voucher when she drops her oaps at service stations.
Gets a decent lunch out of it.

I am surprised with the number of overhead gantry signs on roads in Scotland telling you everything from reminding you to put the cat out to when to breath in/out. But they do keep the 40mph thing to themselves as I strongly believe fines from transgressors is a nice little earner.

I belive the A9 is particularly lucrative.

Talk about the nanny state....
The A9 may be particularly lucrative, but the speed limit for HGVs on it is 50mph and there is plenty signage to that effect. It feels like a sign every 50yds, but it might not be quite that frequent.

Got to be honest, I don't think driving an artic is that much harder than driving a large rigid.
In some ways an artic is easier to drive

I don't see a huge problem with it

syrup

LE

Briefing today.
35 on our site tracked and traced and self isolating
I'm off with it but supporting from home and one of mine rang after the brief so at least 36 off

Last week it was 40+ people across production and Logistics.

We never had that many off during any of the lockdowns.

8 of us last week covering a 12 man shift

2000AD

Old-Salt
Out of interest, do you do the training with laden trailers? I’d imagine the handling characteristics would be a bit different.
Yep. There is a minimum mass that the vehicle has to be at for both C and C+E
The vehicles I trained in had IBC containers full of water, which is an eye opener when it's surging about when braking, cornering and accelerating. But, you get used to it eventually and it makes you much more aware of the limitations of the handling of the vehicle and being more careful and progressive in manouvering and makes you learn to think much more carefully about what you are doing with the vehicle.

Latest Threads