UK Transport Crisis?

I was on the agency at the time I had to YOUTUBE where the gearbox was so I could get the thing moving :)

I got into a 26 tonne Volvo with a stalk gearchange for the first time at dark o'clock one morning
If there hadn't been another driver nearby I would probably still be trying to move the thing now.

I got into a 26 tonne Volvo with a stalk gearchange for the first time at dark o'clock one morning
If there hadn't been another driver nearby I would probably still be trying to move the thing now.
My very first job, 26 tonner ERF for the Co Op...I drove all the way to Northampton in fourth gear, I had no Idea what a 4 over 4 was.
A quick phone call to a mob mate of mine who was driving for Reed Bordall at the time put me right when I asked him why the revs were so high and why it only had four gears.
He never took the piss......honestly, he didn't.

My very first job, 26 tonner ERF for the Co Op...I drove all the way to Northampton in fourth gear, I had no Idea what a 4 over 4 was.
A quick phone call to a mob mate of mine who was driving for Reed Bordall at the time put me right when I asked him why the revs were so high and why it only had four gears.
He never took the piss......honestly, he didn't.

Slightly related, years ago a mate of mine on recovery work was called out to Shap

Brand new hire car (Vauxhall Nova, it was that long ago) that an American had picked up at Heathrow to drive to Glasgow.
Hire company explained it was a manual gearbox but evidently not very well, after getting as far as Shap in first gear the poor little Nova expired.

anglo

LE
Slightly related, years ago a mate of mine on recovery work was called out to Shap

Brand new hire car (Vauxhall Nova, it was that long ago) that an American had picked up at Heathrow to drive to Glasgow.
Hire company explained it was a manual gearbox but evidently not very well, after getting as far as Shap in first gear the poor little Nova expired.
A mate of mine worked in a garage, little old ladies' car kept coming with engine problems,
so when she came to collect, he sat with her and asked her to drive around to test the car,
first thing she did was pull the choke out and hang her handbag on it

Shit I delete it,so
A mate of mine worked in a garage, little old ladies' car kept coming with engine problems,
so when she came to collect, he sat with her and asked her to drive around to test the car,
first thing she did was pull the choke out and hang her handbag on it

It's still not funny and nearly as old as jarrod.

2000AD

Old-Salt
I'm finding the situation with applying for jobs is a bit unconvincing. I applied about 10 days ago to a number of companies and only one got back to me but offering a very low rate.
What is the usual flash to bang time from sending an application and hearing from recruiters?
I've got C+E, ADR Packages and Tanks, 5 years of CPC, clean licence and a digi card but not really hearing much response. And based right in the middle of the golden triangle of M6/M42/M1.

Sainsbury's this morning. Obvious empty shelves. Stacking bloke told me it was due to "fecking lazy lorry drivers not doing their jobs properly".
I didn't engage as I had a prior appointment.

Sainsbury's this morning. Obvious empty shelves. Stacking bloke told me it was due to "fecking lazy lorry drivers not doing their jobs properly".
I didn't engage as I had a prior appointment.
Just let us know which branch, we'll do the rest... ;)

That's interesting, around 1972 we heard a similar story about a septic tourist who drove her manual hire car from Lunnun to Cornwall and back and complained to the agency about the noise, low speed and high gas consumption. The agency found she had done the whole trip in 2nd gear.
Still doesn't explain how she overcame the clutch issue.

That's interesting, around 1972 we heard a similar story about a septic tourist who drove her manual hire car from Lunnun to Cornwall and back and complained to the agency about the noise, low speed and high gas consumption. The agency found she had done the whole trip in 2nd gear.

There is a series of fictitious books about the Manchester police set in the 1970s by Charlie Owen with a very similar story.

I'm finding the situation with applying for jobs is a bit unconvincing. I applied about 10 days ago to a number of companies and only one got back to me but offering a very low rate.
What is the usual flash to bang time from sending an application and hearing from recruiters?
I've got C+E, ADR Packages and Tanks, 5 years of CPC, clean licence and a digi card but not really hearing much response. And based right in the middle of the golden triangle of M6/M42/M1.
If I maybe so bold, if I were you. Don’t send your CV in, take it in. Print up loads of copies, take them around personally.
Hauliers are funny buggers, that’s how I’ve got all my jobs. They seem to think more of you by chasing the buggers.
Give it a go, you’ve got nowt to lose.
Good luck.

If you rang my boss tonight he'd be starting you tomorrow on a minimum of £720pw.
@robinrocket111 hits the nail on the head, you'll get a better response knocking on the transport office door.
Alternately, try ringing an agency local to you, their rates in the Midlands will see you earning up to £1,000pw, and the offers of permanent work will come rolling in.
The advantage of that is that you will work at several different companies, and get to know which ones you like, and they get to know you.

Out of curiousity I applied to Stobarts a week or so ago. 2/3 days to get a call with a very, very brief telephone interview. Give them licence number and they performed a licence check
Email job offer the next day with follow up call offering me a start date from my choice of depots and shifts

That was despite me telling them that I have a three month notice period which they were fine with.

Culina are as quick apparently.

Last edited:

In the Shap case the driver had been told/understood that there was a clutch to engage gear
Didn't grasp that there was more than one gear, presumably on the basis that on an auto once its in drive it takes care of itself

If I maybe so bold, if I were you. Don’t send your CV in, take it in. Print up loads of copies, take them around personally.
Hauliers are funny buggers, that’s how I’ve got all my jobs. They seem to think more of you by chasing the buggers.
Give it a go, you’ve got nowt to lose.
Good luck.

I'll be honest I review applicants on their CV long before they get to interview.
In some cases I google them if I'm unconvinced, one of my applicant last week made the local papers for fighting Police Officers and drunk and disorderly.

I've employed one lorry driver and two van drivers in the last fortnight.
The lorry driver came on recommendation (both ways, he was recommended to us and he was recommended to me)
I need another Class 1 toward the end of the year so we are going to put one of our Class 2 drivers through his test.
Myself and one of my supervisors are Class 1 so if there is a gap between our demand and him passing we'll manage to cover it ourselves. He's a good lad and rather he had the job and the payrise than bring somebody else in.

The van driver I had 14 applicants, most of them ruled out on CV
By the time you've weeded out the taxi drivers and people who've never been in a van or lorry you start to get somewhere.

Out of curiousity I applied to Stobarts a week or so ago. 2/3 days to get a call with a very, very brief telephone interview. Give themlicence number and they performed a licence check
Email job offer the next day with follow up call offering me a start date from my choice of depots and shifts

That was despite e telling them that I have a three month notice period which they were fine with.

Culina are as quick apparently.
Do you have a shirt and tie?
I still have some money from the Army I can use, is it worth me doing a CE

BP are looking for drivers. Eleven left in one day this week

Latest Threads