UK Transport Crisis?

Truxx

LE
I have just learned something valuable! I only drive a horsebox and not commercially but was totally unaware that Scotland had a different limit.
I am surprised with the number of overhead gantry signs on roads in Scotland telling you everything from reminding you to put the cat out to when to breath in/out. But they do keep the 40mph thing to themselves as I strongly believe fines from transgressors is a nice little earner.

I belive the A9 is particularly lucrative.

Talk about the nanny state....

syrup

LE
I am surprised with the number of overhead gantry signs on roads in Scotland telling you everything from reminding you to put the cat out to when to breath in/out. But they do keep the 40mph thing to themselves as I strongly believe fines from transgressors is a nice little earner.

It seems to be a shock to a lot of Scots people as well
Judging by the number of complaints to the how am I driving hotline.

Complaint "stuck behind a lorry doing 40 mph"
Answer "that's the law in Scotland"

giatttt

War Hero
And makes the A75 a proper pain in the jacksie

Considering it is the primary trunk route to Northern Ireland its a bit primitive
IIRC when the men from the EU came to see how their money had been spent upgrading the A75 to meet Euroroute standards they were a bit surprised to see that it had not been upgraded to dual carriageway and there was a row about payments.

It's a lot better than it used to be, but Gatehouse was the only proper bypass, everything else was just about straightening the road and making it a bit wider. Oh and crawler lanes up through the "glen" just West of Dumfries. The ring road around Dumfries is a series of very small roundabouts that must be a pain for HGVs - should have had flyovers.

War Hero
Perhaps I should add that I only drive the horseboxes in Scotland for my partner and her son since I started visiting Scotland more often a few years ago! Hence why it is a bit of a shock.

One of them is an HGV2 (C licence). I have definitely driven them at over 40 mph on single carriageways!

As the farm has just acquired a very large C+E size Class 1 horsebox (which I have a licence for), I will have to watch out.

The Edinburgh bypass had a roadsign with the tally of speeders caught so far.

Some wag had painted below it -

'Burglars - Nil'.

IIRC when the men from the EU came to see how our money had been spent upgrading the A75 to meet Euroroute standards they were a bit surprised to see that it had not been upgraded to dual carriageway and there was a row about payments.

It's a lot better than it used to be, but Gatehouse was the only proper bypass, everything else was just about straightening the road and making it a bit wider. Oh and crawler lanes up through the "glen" just West of Dumfries. The ring road around Dumfries is a series of very small roundabouts that must be a pain for HGVs - should have had flyovers.
Edited for clarity.

IIRC when the men from the EU came to see how their money had been spent upgrading the A75 to meet Euroroute standards they were a bit surprised to see that it had not been upgraded to dual carriageway and there was a row about payments.

Improved it may be (I haven't been on it in years) but until its dualled or the Scottish Government see sense it remains a 40mph road
As a single carriage way that is a main trunk route everything travels at the lowest speed of all traffic, lorres can only do 40mph which means for the vast majority of the road everybody can only do 40mph wheher they are driving a lorry or a Ferrari

Also a lot cheaper and they can cheekily syphon off a few quid to prop up a struggling gov of Wee Jimmy Cranky…

Truxx

LE
Improved it may be (I haven't been on it in years) but until its dualled or the Scottish Government see sense it remains a 40mph road
As a single carriage way that is a main trunk route everything travels at the lowest speed of all traffic, lorres can only do 40mph which means for the vast majority of the road everybody can only do 40mph wheher they are driving a lorry or a Ferrari
Not only is it 40 but it is bloody endless. Then you get to the third world port that is Cainryan and all of a sudden the road does not seem so tedious.

giatttt

War Hero
Also a lot cheaper and they can cheekily syphon off a few quid to prop up a struggling gov of Wee Jimmy Cranky…
It was improved in the mid 80s, before then it truly was a goatrack, some of the corners had regular truck strikes as they couldn't stay in their lanes and out of the ditch. Lots of little houses with front door opening into the carriageway that itself snaked through and under railway bridges.

It was improved in the mid 80s, before then it truly was a goatrack, some of the corners had regular truck strikes as they couldn't stay in their lanes and out of the ditch. Lots of little houses with front door opening into the carriageway that itself snaked through and under railway bridges.
In my early days of driving in the 80s, I was doing RoRo trailers and went to Ireland from Cairnryan a few times! ‘Orrible bloody road!
Always remember the best piece of advice I received on coming off the ferry on the return trip Cairnryan. Wait for all the Paddy’s to go or find a lay-by!
Got off the ferry first, five miles up the road, I saw them coming in the mirror. Well I saw their exhaust smoke first, got into a lay-by as told as around twenty Irish wagons came past. Nose to tail all with their pumps wound up, probably doing around 60mph! Bloody frightening!!!

syrup

LE
I went out in a van today, pulled up to get some fuel on the M5.
BP station and they were putting covers on most of the pumps, so I asked the guy who was doing it what's the score.
He said fuel delivery drivers are quitting and 11 went in one day

I would imagine a lot of that is down to the same old story
Fuel tankers used to be a closed shop
They've been farmed out and are working for roughly the same old wage they were 10 years ago with more work
Same as the supermarket drivers used to be on top wack so did they
The hauliers took over and drove the pay down and the working day up

Not only is it 40 but it is bloody endless. Then you get to the third world port that is Cainryan and all of a sudden the road does not seem so tedious.

that nice scenic drive north past the cat n dog home valley
the descent to ballentrae and of course those fecking average cameras all the way past prestwick
whoever had the idea of railway haulage deserves a bag of ferrets unleashed inside their trews

syrup

LE
In my early days of driving in the 80s, I was doing RoRo trailers and went to Ireland from Cairnryan a few times! ‘Orrible bloody road!
Always remember the best piece of advice I received on coming off the ferry on the return trip Cairnryan. Wait for all the Paddy’s to go or find a lay-by!
Got off the ferry first, five miles up the road, I saw them coming in the mirror. Well I saw their exhaust smoke first, got into a lay-by as told as around twenty Irish wagons came past. Nose to tail all with their pumps wound up, probably doing around 60mph! Bloody frightening!!!

The joys of watching a V8 Scania weaving in your mirrors like an F1 driver trying warm up is tyres is a joy to behold.

I was saw a test of a confiscated Irish unit on a closed stretch of road
Copper was driving and gave it full beans down a straight bit of road
On analysis the Digi tacho registered 56 MPH.
The traffic car following him told him to knock it off when they hit 95 and it was still going onwards

The joys of watching a V8 Scania weaving in your mirrors like an F1 driver trying warm up is tyres is a joy to behold.

I was saw a test of a confiscated Irish unit on a closed stretch of road
Copper was driving and gave it full beans down a straight bit of road
On analysis the Digi tacho registered 56 MPH.
The traffic car following him told him to knock it off when they hit 95 and it was still going onwards
And if a fridge Van coming from Italy, tiles or steel on the deck and hanging meat over top and grossing 60 tonne!

Latest Threads