UK Transport Crisis?

It should interesting when you download his card and check his hours ;)

I won't be doing that!
He starts with us with a clean slate

It isn't an uncommon story sadly, he was given a choice during Coronavirus of six days or no days
He's been trying to manage his shifts to keep within the law but doubt he has been successful
His current employer apparently couldn't care less

syrup

LE
I won't be doing that!

It isn't an uncommon story sadly, he was given a choice during Coronavirus of six days or no days
He's been trying to manage his shifts to keep within the law but doubt he has been successful

I would imagine with the shortages his current bloke is making money hand over fist

It probably outweighs the risk of being caught

....It isn't an uncommon story sadly, he was given a choice during Coronavirus of six days or no days

And there's one good reason for all the enforcement drivers complain about!

I won't be doing that!

I gave up LGV driving some 15 years back, but employers trying to squeeze every possible working hour from drivers is nothing new: I recall one driver, on being told he had to do just one more delivery before his holiday booking, put his truck on the Woolwich Ferry, threw the keys overboard, and walked off to a new life quite happily.
Sometimes, bosses forget that drivers have a choice.

No Boots

Clanker
I gave up LGV driving some 15 years back, but employers trying to squeeze every possible working hour from drivers is nothing new: I recall one driver, on being told he had to do just one more delivery before his holiday booking, put his truck on the Woolwich Ferry, threw the keys overboard, and walked off to a new life quite happily.
Sometimes, bosses forget that drivers have a choice.
I know a driver who parked up in a layby for his break, the boss phoned to ask if he was ready for his backload and was told no, after a bit of toing & froing he got out and threw the keys in the field ( don't know how long it took to find the truck)
One thing that has been a re-occurence throughout all of this, is that it is not just about the money, plenty of other issues need addressing - as an aside when was the last time you saw any transport company with the young learner/driver scheme?
Without getting newer drivers in this will never get any better.
.Can you see honestly see anything changing in the near future, because I can't, in 5/10 years time we will be back to square one again.
I've yet to see any benefit of renewing my entitlement and obtaining a cpc.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
One thing that has been a re-occurence throughout all of this, is that it is not just about the money, plenty of other issues need addressing - as an aside when was the last time you saw any transport company with the young learner/driver scheme?
Without getting newer drivers in this will never get any better.
The London bus companies of seem to have made an effort. They train anyone with a car licence. Drivers who trained with me included several young people whose jobs disappeared with Covid, e.g. customer service at airports. However, most of these people are BAME or Europeans. Driving isn't a job that young white Britons seem to consider even as a temporary job.

....as an aside when was the last time you saw any transport company with the young learner/driver scheme?
Without getting newer drivers in this will never get any better.....

Does that still exist? Or Modern Apprenticeships? I know the RTITB is long gone.

The London bus companies of seem to have made an effort. They train anyone with a car licence. Drivers who trained with me included several young people whose jobs disappeared with Covid, e.g. customer service at airports. However, most of these people are BAME or Europeans. Driving isn't a job that young white Britons seem to consider even as a temporary job.
May be some good publicity and glamorize the job, thus -

Daz

LE

Truxx

LE
More like this in the UK :)

Fun facts yet again.

The folks who designed the cab of that Leyland (later to be used on our very own DROPS MMLC) was the same team who designed the Reliant Scimitar GTE, the Raleigh Chopper push bike the HS 125 train.and Luke Skywalkers XP34 Landspeeder.

Fun facts yet again.

The folks who designed the cab of that Leyland (later to be used on our very own DROPS MMLC) was the same team who designed the Reliant Scimitar GTE, the Raleigh Chopper push bike the HS 125 train.and Luke Skywalkers XP34 Landspeeder.
Tom Karen / Ogle Design. Not sure they did the HS125; I think that was a Terry Miller design.

Sir Kenneth Grange.

I think it was Miller who came up with the concept and presented it to the BR Board. I remember him speaking at the IMechE in the 80s. Grange did the styling.

A bit like the argument around who designs a skyscraper; the architect or engineer!

Truxx

LE
I think it was Miller who came up with the concept and presented it to the BR Board. I remember him speaking at the IMechE in the 80s. Grange did the styling.

A bit like the argument around who designs a skyscraper; the architect or engineer!
Good point. I have always had in the back of my head that Ogle penned the front end of the loco.

But I could be wrong. It has happened before.

Latest Threads