UK Transport Crisis?

Daz

LE
In the last week I've employed a driver who's current employer is forcing him to do 6 days a week on tacho, every week. He starts for us next month
It isn't uncommon,
It should interesting when you download his card and check his hours ;)

whats the problem with that. Electricians have to pay and take time out for their JIB accreditation, ( electro technical scheme) and site safety test, and every few years the IEE regs are upgraded, and more time off required for either nights school or day time collage. Some company's employing on PAYE pay, but the lads working through agency's, the self employed on the CS tickets have to take time off and pay themselves. Without both the JIB and CS tickets, No work, unless on cowboy company's, or the black economy. I suspect its the same for other construction trades, i stand to be corrected. ;)

Are electricians hours strictly limited and are they punished heavily for any transgression?

If not, you might be comparing apples and oranges.

Are electricians hours strictly limited and are they punished heavily for any transgression?

If not, you might be comparing apples and oranges.
We abide by the same H&S rules as everyone else, (when it suits us, or the site management) and work to a strict code of practice determined by the IEE Regs,, and local site rules. Hours worked can be very flexible, depending on site requirements. I have often done 10-12 hour days, and when working away from home, sleeping in digs, 12-14 hour days were not uncommon. Weekenders on fast track jobs, in Saturday night, finish Monday morning, those sort of jobs are usually in banks, building society's, and large office blocks. Not so common now, but still happens. Any transgression, in work practices or disputes with others on site ( Fighting, pissing about, sabotage) instant dismissal. Agency staff can, and have been sacked on the spot with no warning whatsoever...... The hourly rate for a self employed, JIB graded, on agency sparks is now £22 P/H........lovely jubbley rodders! ;)

Note:- now retired, but i still keep a professional interest via my mates still working in the trade.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
It's very good

Driver rates have been stagnant for a decade or more, Not unusually to see under a tenner and hour for Class1 drivers. Average is probably £11-12 per hour in most of the country
London buses starting salary £11-12per hour rising about £1 per year over five years, after which some companies might look for reasons to sack the driver or TUPE them with a route lost to a competitor. The reason for recent industrial action has been about changes to pay removing various overtime bonuses - what was double time for antisocial hours is now time and a fifth for new joiners. You get around 10% more per hour for working a rest day. The Metroline strikes were also motivated by moves to make drivers sign on remotely which is seen as the thin edge of an uberization of the job. Agency work is around £16 per hour.

One matter which appalls me is the dreadfully poor provision for toilets at the stands on various routes. Those provided by TFL are best described as bogs and are often closed. Edgware driver loos was plagued by a phantom crapper whose ARRSE NAAFI Bar like activities resulted in the loos out of order through vandalism off and on for a few months. Some people cannot use a toilet without spreading vast quantities of loo paper on every surface. Many routes have no lavatories at either end. Although against company and union policy, male drivers can find a bush to piss in or against a wheel to, this is not an attractive option for female drivers. In theory the driver radios the controller for a toilet break and the bus runs out of service to a bus station with a working loo. But there are limits to how often you really want to push the system. The recent scandal of Amazon drivers is more or less the same situation on TFL buses.

Developing iron bladder control whilst remaining hydrated and alert is an under-rated but key professional driving skill not included in CPC, but one I am proud to have mastered in my advanced years...

Last edited:
London buses starting salary £11-12per hour rising about £1 per year over five years,....

....Developing iron bladder control whilst remaining hydrated and alert is an under-rated but key professional driving skill not included in CPC, but one I am proud to have mastered in my advanced years...

Something I've often wondered about but never asked! Must apply everywhere, not only London, although routes ending out in the sticks might provide more in the way of bushes!

I'm surprised at the money for London.

London buses starting salary £11-12per hour rising about £1 per year over five years, after which some companies might look for reasons to sack the driver or TUPE them with a route lost to a competitor. The reason for recent industrial action has been about changes to pay removing various overtime bonuses - what was double time for antisocial hours is now time and a fifth for new joiners. You get around 10% more per hour for working a rest day. The Metroline strikes were also motivated by moves to make drivers sign on remotely which is seen as the thin edge of an uberization of the job. Agency work is around £16 per hour.

One matter which appalls me is the dreadfully poor provision for toilets at the stands on various routes. Those provided by TFL are best described as bogs and are often closed. Edgware driver loos was plagued by a phantom crapper whose ARRSE NAAFI Bar like activities resulted in the loos out of order through vandalism off and on for a few months. Some people cannot use a toilet without spreading vast quantities of loo paper on every surface. Many routes have no lavatories at either end. Although against company and union policy, male drivers can find a bush to piss in or against a wheel to, this is not an attractive option for female drivers. In theory the driver radios the controller for a toilet break and the bus runs out of service to a bus station with a working loo. But there are limits to how often you really want to push the system. The recent scandal of Amazon drivers is more or less the same situation on TFL buses.

Developing iron bladder control whilst remaining hydrated and alert is an under-rated but key professional driving skill not included in CPC, but one I am proud to have mastered in my advanced years...

I used to work on the buses. All you say rings true. It’s a crap, thankless job and with all the grief you have to put up with, crap pay. I remember the days of £4.40ph.
It’s even worse now. Cameras in the cab recording sight and sound. GPS tracking, so no more chopping the road up.
We used to liken it to dustbin lorry driving. Only difference being our rubbish got off and on by itself.

I used to work on the buses. All you say rings true. It’s a crap, thankless job and with all the grief you have to put up with, crap pay. I remember the days of £4.40ph.
It’s even worse now. Cameras in the cab recording sight and sound. GPS tracking, so no more chopping the road up.
We used to liken it to dustbin lorry driving. Only difference being our rubbish got off and on by itself.

On the theme of this thread - apart from the money, the buses seem to do a better job on training. Is that because they have to train a lot from scratch, so they have a more or less permanent school set-up?

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
On the theme of this thread - apart from the money, the buses seem to do a better job on training. Is that because they have to train a lot from scratch, so they have a more or less permanent school set-up?
I can only comment from limited personal experience. All of the London bus operators have schools and rolling recruitment. Every bus has a recruitment ad on the back. They all have training schools - BTW NEVER drive anywhere close to a bus with L Plates. The driver is guaranteed to be in their first two or three weeks of PCV driving and is probably driven by some terrified ex shop assistant seeking a better paid existence.

The training is much shorter than it used to be. No one gets to train on skid pans like Cliff Richard. Newly qualified drivers are let loose on an unsuspecting public and other road users long before they have really mastered how to manage a wide forward control vehicle and no training what so ever in how to manage the vehicle in bad weather, snow or ice. But hey, whats a few insurance claims compared to the costs of an extra two week training course...

However, this is work for the public sector, and in front of the public. TFL monitor standards with enough mystery shoppers to have a leader board for each route each month. I don't think bus operators can get away with as much as might happen in the darker corners of the freight industry.

but its Britain and Bull baffles brains.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
OK I am still new enough to be keen and see the upside.

Given my age (65) I was grateful to be trained to do a job that has seen me through Covid. Although self employed one of my major clients the MOD has insisted on paying me as zero hours PAYE rather than self employed thus rendering me ineligble for an HMRC Covid hand out. (cnuts).

I quite like passengers - but my pre covid job was tour guiding and management. It is humbling to be working in a role where people routinely thank you for doing your job. There are lots where they don't or they take your service for granted. if you bother to say hello to passengers and tell them why you have otherwise inexplicably stopped you get pats on the back.

The basic pay ain't great, but working overtime/one rest day a week raises it by 20%. It is still tough given the cost of accommodation in London. One of my workmates was sleeping on the buses for a while. Other drivers have been brilliant: kind, helpful and friendly. I could not have worked with a better bunch of people.

It is also a job that fits well with semi retirement. There are drivers in their 70s and lots of people who seem to have negotiated rotas convenient to their personal circumstances. Even when the tourists return I will probably go on the buses in the quiet tourist season. Eighteen quid an hour as a self employed is a reasonable supplement for three or four months.

Truxx

LE
As we used to say in the Port Operating game, never, ever, get involved with self-loading cargo.

I can only comment from limited personal experience. All of the London bus operators have schools and rolling recruitment. Every bus has a recruitment ad on the back. They all have training schools - BTW NEVER drive anywhere close to a bus with L Plates. The driver is guaranteed to be in their first two or three weeks of PCV driving and is probably driven by some terrified ex shop assistant seeking a better paid existence.

The training is much shorter than it used to be. No one gets to train on skid pans like Cliff Richard. Newly qualified drivers are let loose on an unsuspecting public and other road users long before they have really mastered how to manage a wide forward control vehicle and no training what so ever in how to manage the vehicle in bad weather, snow or ice. But hey, whats a few insurance claims compared to the costs of an extra two week training course...

However, this is work for the public sector, and in front of the public. TFL monitor standards with enough mystery shoppers to have a leader board for each route each month. I don't think bus operators can get away with as much as might happen in the darker corners of the freight industry.

but its Britain and Bull baffles brains.

“First two or three weeks training”.

I was 18 & had 4 days. Car to double decker. Training Mon-Thur & test Friday. No pass, no job.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
My former employer of some years ago runs a fleet of 400+ vehicles (tankers & skip lorries), mostly rigids up to 8 wheels with the odd artic in the fleet. Chatting to one of my old colleagues they are struggling for driver / operators and at the moment have over 25 vacancies for Class 2 HGV drivers. Typically they would have 8 - 10 vacancies maximum as they pay reasonably well with opportunities for earning a bonus.

@Retired bloke you're not the only one, my mate retired 6 years ago aged 67 and has had his previous employer on the phone to him 3 times in the past year asking him to come back. As he's not in the best of health, he has no desire to go back to work and the commute is from Basingstoke to Eastleigh. The last offer they made included an offer to have someone collect him in a car for the trip! He told them that he has no intention of working again and is happy on his pension but it's an idea how desperate they are. He is a qualified electronic engineer.

If only they were not saving the country from COVID

Call in the Army! problem solved.
Did you serve? They have been busy enough lately and many still are. Working away from camp, all hours, for no extra money will appeal to them no end, I am sure

Very light, very powerful and a big dose of "hold my beer" . . . .
Powerfull maybe, but I recall that it was so light - with NO WEIGHT over the front axle - it was impossible to steer, when pulling a loaded trailer.

Faced with the simple task of turning into a corner, the weight of the trailer, was reputed to continue pushing the artic-unit straight-on !! :( .

Last edited:
I used to be a bus driver, but sacked it when I got fed up with people talking behind my back.
Same as Sandy quitting Crossroads

He was peed off with Benny pushing him around